Autodesk Introduces 2014 Versions of its Suite

Status
Not open for further replies.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
maya, 3ds max, and softimage all do the same thing. why hasn't autodesk combined them into one product? just provide changeable interfaces that mimicks maya, 3ds max, and softimage.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I know the standard for 3D modeling is Autodesk's products, but I just can't justify them in games. They are gearing too much towards movies. They treat work for games as: If they can make it for a movie then it should have the functionalities needed to make models for games. They were even touting their better "cinematic" offerings at GDC. The annoying part about Autodesk is the junk that might come along for the ride when transferring something to a game engine or another modeling program. That and its difficult to get the Maya renderer to sufficiently decrease its calculations so the model would appear as it does in a game. With Max, you can use a DirectX shader directly.
Personally, I prefer Blender because its free. It uses Python as a scripting extension. Its texture mapping is based on powers of 2. It has a built in game engine. Its units are actually whole units and not 0.999999999999 of something. It also works with models cleanly, and forces the user to work faster with hotkeys.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I know the standard for 3D modeling is Autodesk's products, but I just can't justify them in games. They are gearing too much towards movies. They treat work for games as: If they can make it for a movie then it should have the functionalities needed to make models for games. They were even touting their better "cinematic" offerings at GDC. The annoying part about Autodesk is the junk that might come along for the ride when transferring something to a game engine or another modeling program. That and its difficult to get the Maya renderer to sufficiently decrease its calculations so the model would appear as it does in a game. With Max, you can use a DirectX shader directly.Personally, I prefer Blender because its free. It uses Python as a scripting extension. Its texture mapping is based on powers of 2. It has a built in game engine. Its units are actually whole units and not 0.999999999999 of something. It also works with models cleanly, and forces the user to work faster with hotkeys.[/citation]

can't justify them in game s ? all your points only tell me that you haven't used 3ds max in along long time. granted i'm no fan of maya , but 3ds max itself is far more user friendly and speedy to work with on game models than blender. what's more si that autodesk is still regularly updated while blender is not. there is better tech support in 3ds max as well , keep in mind these programs ARE designed for game developer companies , not ameture modders.

if you are just a modder looking for good software on the cheap by all means go with blender it'll get you there , but if you expect to work professionally in the industry knowing 3ds max or maya is a must as nearly all of the game industry uses one of these two products to create models.

Now on another note , since I'm still a student and will still be a student in april I'll likely get to grab these for free as autodesk has had a deal with our school to give their suites free under a student license for the past 3 years running. so can't wait to dive into the new features.

sa1nt

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
[citation][nom]notsleep[/nom]maya, 3ds max, and softimage all do the same thing. why hasn't autodesk combined them into one product? just provide changeable interfaces that mimicks maya, 3ds max, and softimage.[/citation]
Well those 3d packages have hundreds of thousands programing hours putted in to them .Also individual artists have put years in to mastering them and although they accomplish the same things they have different ways of doing it.Generally speaking it would be very very very costly,time consuming,inefficient and stupid oh and almost impossible.As creating one programing language,mixing linux and windows...

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]can't justify them in game s ? all your points only tell me that you haven't used 3ds max in along long time. granted i'm no fan of maya , but 3ds max itself is far more user friendly and speedy to work with on game models than blender. what's more si that autodesk is still regularly updated while blender is not.[/citation]
New features and updates are cranked out quite regularly for blender. It has a 2 or 3 month release cycle.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]notsleep[/nom]maya, 3ds max, and softimage all do the same thing. why hasn't autodesk combined them into one product? just provide changeable interfaces that mimicks maya, 3ds max, and softimage.[/citation]
That sounds like an absolute clusterfuck. Maya's already buggy enough as it is.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]can't justify them in game s ? all your points only tell me that you haven't used 3ds max in along long time. granted i'm no fan of maya , but 3ds max itself is far more user friendly and speedy to work with on game models than blender. what's more si that autodesk is still regularly updated while blender is not. there is better tech support in 3ds max as well , keep in mind these programs ARE designed for game developer companies , not ameture modders. if you are just a modder looking for good software on the cheap by all means go with blender it'll get you there , but if you expect to work professionally in the industry knowing 3ds max or maya is a must as nearly all of the game industry uses one of these two products to create models. Now on another note , since I'm still a student and will still be a student in april I'll likely get to grab these for free as autodesk has had a deal with our school to give their suites free under a student license for the past 3 years running. so can't wait to dive into the new features.[/citation]

meh, knowing how to use them is less important than having talent in modeling 3d.
to my understanding, it takes about 2 weeks for someone to learn a program and how to do what they want with it once they have the basic knowledge on how to do what they want... god that's harder to explain that i thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.