Question Autodesk Maya spec question

Aug 11, 2019
Hello! I am a Maya animator user and I am trying to buy a new desktop tower and I was wondering if this spec(especially the graphic card part) can hold up Maya. I'm not worried about the i7 processor or the 16GB RAM but I'm not sure if the graphic card would be powerful enough. In the official Autodesk website they said it is ideal to have NVIDIA graphic cards and they were all 6GBs but I would rather use a ready to go system as is if it is possible! Thank you so much for your help whoever replies!

Graphics ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Processor Model Intel Core i7-8700K Processor 6-Core/12-Thread
Motherboard Asus TUF Z370-Plus Gaming
Standard Memory 16GB DDR4
SSD 512GB M.2 SSD
Hard Drive Capacity 2TB Hard Drive
Case CORSAIR Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA RGB Case
Power Supply Corsair VS550 Power Supply
Cooling Corsair H100 Water Cooling or similar
Operating System Windows 10 Home

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
A 3GB card will be fine for small projects but generally for rending you aim for more VRAM.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...or-Autodesk-Maya-165/Hardware-Recommendations (This part is old and doesn't factor in 3000 series Ryzen)

A warning with MAYA though, Geforce cards get driver updates last so after updating you might find yourself glitchy for a few days to a few weeks until they patch up.

I'm guessing your buying the entire pc instead of building?

A i7 8700K albiet a good CPU doesn't give you the best performance per dollar ratio, going with a Ryzen 3600 or 9600K will Render faster and leave some room to bump up to a better GPU like a 1660.

Here is a Tool that will give you recommendations based on your budget, yeah it's not perfect but gives you an idea.
https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/

Here is a System based on a $1000 budget.
---------------------
Your Custom 3D Modeling & Animation Build: (https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=Cd1xh0h0hkb)

Parts List:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock AM4 ($35.99)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime X570-P ATX AM4 ($169.99)
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1660TI 6GB - Gigabyte Windforce ($269.99)
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 CL16 ($93.08)
Storage PCIe-SSD: Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB M.2 Solid State Drive ($117.41)
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series CX550 550W ATX 2.4 Power Supply ($76.78)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275Q ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.12)

Total: $1071.36

Generated by CG Director PC Builder on 11/8/2019 @ 12:44:19
---------------------
Bump down to a X470 board and knock around $70 off.

Reactions: lindsey4869
Aug 11, 2019
Ah I see I didn't know the power supply was also important! There is also an 6GB option that I found if it has render problems for playblasts (I mostly would not render anything in Arnold since that would not be necessary for animators) but the problem is that this does not say what power supply it uses and it also has 240GB of SSD but it is a cheaper option. I would prefer purchasing an entire pc rather than building since I am not the brightest in techs and I am afraid I might mess up but thank you for giving me an option to look around!

Model
Aeon 5088 RGB Gaming Tower
Part Number : RTCNO00127
Type : Gaming Desktop
Graphics : GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6GB (GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD) or similar
Processor Model : Intel I7-8700k 6 Core/12 Thread CPU
Motherboard : GIGABYTE Z370P D3
Standard Memory : 16GB DDR4
SSD : 240GB M.2
Hard Drive Capacity : 2TB
Operating System : Windows 10 Home

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the PSU is the backbone and the heart of the system. a quality unit will literally kill itself up before allowing power damage to any parts, it also provides clean steady voltage which keeps the computer healthy. out of spec power can damage components, any and all connected to the PSU.

pre built systems cut as many corners as they can to make money and the first corner is the PSU. if the rest of the system suits you simply replace the PSU first thing. its literally opening the case, removing 4 screws, disconnecting maybe 7 power cables. remove VS unit and replace in reverse order. cables, screws, case.
you tube has videos of the procedure, many videos to look over. watch a few and get friendly with the simple procedure.

corsair TX series/RMx series
seasonic Focus/Focus Prime/G series
EVGA G2/G3 series
but a few great units

Aug 11, 2019
I see! I'll try to replace the PSU after I get the tower then! Since most of the components are what I am looking for! Can I ask which one would be a better option? I can buy the PSU separately and replace it but I want to keep the other components! I would like to pick from the two options that I posted!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
less RAM on GPU or smaller storage, which can you live with?
I would go with the 1060 6GB system. the SSD can be upgraded cheaply later. shut down, open case, one screw. remove SSD. replace SSD, insert one screw, close case and boot and install windows.

Aug 11, 2019
Ah I see! I would rather have more RAM than having more storage I already own 1TB drive! I'll go for the second option then, it is much cheaper so it works out too! Thank you so much for your help R_1 and delaro!