Automatic connection?!

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My Inspiron 8600, for some reason, now AUTOMATICALLY connects to my isp
through my LinkSys wireless router at bootup. I used to be able to open this
connection manually by clicking my isp desktop icon. How can I change this
behavior? Thanks all. (At least it connects :) )

--
************
All email scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2002

tom <tom@hotmail.com> coughed up the following:

> My Inspiron 8600, for some reason, now AUTOMATICALLY connects to my
> isp through my LinkSys wireless router at bootup. I used to be able
> to open this connection manually by clicking my isp desktop icon. How
> can I change this behavior? Thanks all. (At least it connects :) )

When my machine started auto-connecting to verizon (DSL) on bootup it
was because of a virus. Have you done a full scan recently?

--
While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of

Mike

Splendid

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
> tom <tom@hotmail.com> coughed up the following:
>

>>My Inspiron 8600, for some reason, now AUTOMATICALLY connects to my
>>isp through my LinkSys wireless router at bootup. I used to be able
>>to open this connection manually by clicking my isp desktop icon. How
>>can I change this behavior? Thanks all. (At least it connects :) )
>

> When my machine started auto-connecting to verizon (DSL) on bootup it
> was because of a virus. Have you done a full scan recently?

I've witnessed some microsoft software that connects to the internet
BEFORE boot is completed and BEFORE the firewall gets loaded. I
switched to a competitor for this reason. I don't know what they're
doing, but I don't want any...

I've also seen programs that turn off your modem sound, silently
disconnect, redial an offshore number at $$$/minute and keep right on
surfing like
nothing happened. Fortunately, I have an external modem and caught it.

With win98, control panel/ internet options/ connections has a setting
for when to dial. But that won't stop microsoft or any other program
that goes around the internet properties.

mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment