automatic downloads caused system restore to save to date of downloads and no
history remains and the tcp/ip number has disappeared and become a 169. so
that means I cannot log on to the internet. I have been advised it is a
wincam error as a result of the downloads but how do I fix it?I am running
windows xp and the automatic downloads were for version 4.

IP address with 169.254.y.z = APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing)

This means that network connectivity is confined only to the segment where
machines have the same IP class. Therefore Internet access is not possible.

APIPA can be very difficult to 'undo' ; however it can be disabled if
requred. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244268/EN-US/.

More IP troubleshooting info see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314067