Question Automatic recovery and not booting

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My computer has decided to not boot. When I start it, it goes straight to automatic repair. When I choose advanced options, nothing works. When I go into the CMD prompt, the pc shows only an "X:" drive. Entering any other drive letter just bounces me back to the X drive. I've run diskpart, chkdisc, bootrec, and dism. Nothing. I've disconnected each drive in turn to boot and nothing. I've tried booting from a usb stick and a cd/dvd. Nothing. In fact, these last two drives don't show up at all either. Only when I've disconnected by Drive 0 (C:) does the message bootmgr is missing appear.
So, what now? (Thankfully my 14 yr old mac pro 2,1 is running like a champ. Too bad Apple decided to cripple it and not allow any permanent fixes.)

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Found a vid on you tube on how to test a power supply. Main power is okay. Using a mulitester showed that several of the pins were dead. Zero volts where they should have read either 3V or 5V. Hmmm...New PSU? New build? Update Mac the Cheese Grater to El Capitan?

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Right now, I can't remember. I installed a new PSU and the unit went right back into Troubleshoot and automatic repair. Since I already swapped cables to the HDD around that seems to eliminate them as the culprits. I guess after twelve faithful years it's finally time to put the ol' Black Beauty down.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I think the ol' girl is formally dead. I ran the MS Media Creation Tool to make a bootable USB. I entered the box's BIOS and set the boot devices all to
USB-HDD. I entered boot order and set it to USB-HDD. The machine throws the no boot mgr error. When I tried again with different USB choices, only the Windows emblem appeared and nothing happened.
I switched USB ports and tried again. No boot manager.
I was really hoping I could the ol' girl running but I guess she's ready for the recycle bin at Best Buy.