Question Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC SrtTrail.txt

DynamicEwok

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
About two days ago, Windows automatically updated when I turned my pc off at night. Ever since then, when I turn on my pc it loads into the Automatic Repair screen, with a message saying "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC" and a file chain of "D:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt". I've been scouring the internet for a while now and can't come across working solutions to this issue. Many of the "solutions" lead to dead ends or more issues that are beyond my basic computer knowledge. I'm sure that there are multiple posts on here about this problem, and if there are any that might be valuable to my situation, please lead me to them. If anyone has a idea of ways to fix this issue, I am completely ready to try them and test if they work. Thanks!

Couple of sidenotes:
-I am running Windows 10
-I've tried to reset/completely wipe the pc but it fails and leads me right back to the normal blue screen

Go to update history and uninstall the any updates over the last 3 days.

You also might to try this, it has worked in the past with your problem.

Use Command Prompt from Windows 10 Boot Options menu.
When Boot Options menu appears, you need to do the following:
  1. Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options.
  2. Select Command Prompt from list of options.
  3. When Command Prompt appears, enter the following lines and press Enter after each line in order to run it:
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
4. To perform these commands, you need to know drive letters for all your hard drive partitions. In Command Prompt you should enter the following (but remember to use the letters that match your hard drive partitions on your PC):
chkdsk /r c:
chkdsk /r d:
5. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

DynamicEwok

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. They may find and fix something.

From the command prompt try running "sfc /scannow" (without quotes).
So I tried going through some of the troubleshooting options but none of them seem to work. The "sfc /scannow" runs through a verification process before coming up with a message saying "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation." I'm not sure what to do about that. I made sure the command was entered correctly and that the correct drive was selected.

DynamicEwok

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Go to update history and uninstall the any updates over the last 3 days.

You also might to try this, it has worked in the past with your problem.

Use Command Prompt from Windows 10 Boot Options menu.
When Boot Options menu appears, you need to do the following:
  1. Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options.
  2. Select Command Prompt from list of options.
  3. When Command Prompt appears, enter the following lines and press Enter after each line in order to run it:
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
4. To perform these commands, you need to know drive letters for all your hard drive partitions. In Command Prompt you should enter the following (but remember to use the letters that match your hard drive partitions on your PC):
chkdsk /r c:
chkdsk /r d:
5. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
Let us know how it goes.
I ran chkdsk /r c: and chkdsk /r d: earlier and neither of them changed much. I also tried the bootrec.exe commands, which all worked other than /fixboot, which says access denied. I'm running CMD in administrator and I also tried it in safe mode just to see if that did anything, but still no luck.

My friend offered me a 128 gb SSD that he never used, so do you think it would be a good idea to just scrap this current hard drive and upgrade to that? I'm fine with losing my information and am really sick of trying to figure out the problem. Would that work fine or would there still be issues if I switch drives?

Did you try to uninstall your computers recent updates? Updates are often the cause of these issues, sometimes becasue there was a problem with the install. In regards to a new ssd, I would do a clean install (completely different than a reset, that often leaves offending drivers on your hdd/ssd) of your current HDD/SSD to determine if your problem lies in your hdd/sdd or Windows 10. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/ BTW, what manner of hdd/ssd do you have; ssd? sata or PCIe

DynamicEwok

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Did you try to uninstall your computers recent updates? Updates are often the cause of these issues, sometimes becasue there was a problem with the install. In regards to a new ssd, I would do a clean install (completely different than a reset, that often leaves offending drivers on your hdd/ssd) of your current HDD/SSD to determine if your problem lies in your hdd/sdd or Windows 10. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/ BTW, what manner of hdd/ssd do you have; ssd? sata or PCIe
I tried to a system restore but it failed to extract file (D:\Windows\System32\drivers\volmgrx.sys). Does this give a hint at what the problem might be? Regarding the question about my storage driver, I just have a normal 1 TB HDD, which I got about 4 years ago.

If I wanted to fresh install Windows 10, would I be able to use a Windows 7 disk? I upgraded when Windows 10 came out and therefore don't have a physical copy and I can't get to my desktop to download the version like they do in the link you provided. Also, I can't get into my BIOS to make my motherboard prioritize my DVD drive because my keyboard doesn't connect until after the BIOS period is over. Is there a way I can fix that?

No, your bios should have a record of your update, so when the reinstall asks for your COA, click on I don't have a number and the install should continue with no COA issue.

As far as your mouse issue in the BIOS, you can try and use the arrow keys, or access the boot menu by tapping the f12 key when you see the flash screen. If f12 doesn't work try a different f key.

Last edited:

DynamicEwok

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
No, your bios should have a record of your update, so when the reinstall asks for your COA, click on I don't have a number and the install should continue with no COA issue.
Okay that sounds good. However, I still have one issue. I'm unable to get the DVD disc reader to start before the blue screen due to how my motherboard is prioritizing my drivers. So far the main solution I've come across is just switching it in BIOS to prioritize the DVD disc reader. The issue with this is that I literally can't open BIOS from where I am and when I restart my computer to try and access it, my USB ports aren't loaded at the time that I need them to be to access BIOS, so my keyboard doesn't work and I can't enter by hitting DEL or F11 or whatever key it tells me to. Are there any solutions to this? From what I've read I don't think I can access it from CMD and the other way to access it requires me to have access to my desktop applications, which I don't have. Please let me know if you have any ideas!

DynamicEwok

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Your bios should load drivers for your USB ports for your keyboard. Try using another port, preferably on the back of your computer, and not through a hub. If your keyboard can't be seen by your bios, than it is either a bad keyboard or a mother board failure.
Well I think my motherboard sees my keyboard, but it just sees it too late. It does the same thing with my mouse, where it doesn't start until Windows attempts to load. I've tried it with different keyboards to no avail and I made sure that it's plugged into the USBs in the back. I tried the USB 3.0 and the USB 2.0 but neither worked. I'm not sure if there is a solution to this but it just seems weird that it's set up this way, basically set up for failure.

D

Deleted member 14196

Then you obviously have serious hardware issues. I highly doubt a Windows installation is going to fix your problems

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. In the past the bios would stop the boot process even before the flash screen if there was no keyboard plugged in. The classic "keyboard error, press f12 to continue." As I said it's either the keyboard or the MB, and it's looking like the MB. What I find amusing is Windows 10 has so many updates, that regardless of whatever problem you may have, there was probably an update you that happened a short time before and may have nothing to do with the problem.

Colif

Win 11 Master
most of the time I see the srttrail.trxt error I find a clean install of windows is the fastest answer instead of messing with bootrec as it often doesn't work.

Is there anything on C you want to save?
get into automatic repair options screen
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

you should make a new copy of win 10 installer on USB so you don't need to use DVD reader
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - this will be a newer version of 10 than what you have since the newest version of 10 was released today.

Still need to work out how to get into bios though. If Win 10 worked you could use 2 other ways to set up boot order. Knowing what motherboard you have will help there, worse case scenario is reset CMOS and brute forcing way into bios.

The problem is OP, when booting has no keyboard or mouse until windows boots up. He can't enter his bios to reset is boot order or bring up the boot menu because he pressing the keyboard is non-functional so pressing the appropriate keys to enter these function do not work, so it appears to be a MB issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The problem is OP, when booting has no keyboard or mouse until windows boots up. He can't enter his bios to reset is boot order or bring up the boot menu because he pressing the keyboard is non-functional so pressing the appropriate keys to enter these function do not work, so it appears to be a MB issue.
we won't know until he shares motherboard make/model. then we can see if we can find other similar problems and maybe offer solutions. Has op tried the USB 2 slots on back of board? or just any on back? front facing usb may not be on right controller.

we won't know until he shares motherboard make/model. then we can see if we can find other similar problems and maybe offer solutions. Has op tried the USB 2 slots on back of board? or just any on back? front facing usb may not be on right controller.
"I've tried it with different keyboards to no avail and I made sure that it's plugged into the USBs in the back. I tried the USB 3.0 and the USB 2.0 but neither worked. I'm not sure if there is a solution to this but it just seems weird that it's set up this way, basically set up for failure."
After posting this I had the idea that perhaps flashing the bios might help. So indeed knowing the MB make and model could be used to solve the OP problem.

Last edited: