Status
Not open for further replies.

rohit

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004

I have XP Professional with SP2. The Automatic Update is disabled. If click
on "Turn on Automatic Updates" in the Security Center, I get an error statig:
We're sorry the Security Center could not change your settings. Try changing
it yourself in control Panel"

When I click on Automatic Updated in Control panel, all radio buttons are
grayed out.

How do I re enable Automatic updates. Thanks

Hi there, perhaps this will assist:

Automatic updates greyed out
Click Start, select run and type in: services.msc,
Now scroll down to the autoupdate service and double click it.
Start it and set the startup type to automatic, then reboot.

“The Windows Update Service is not available" and all of the check boxes and
drop-down menus are greyed out. This can happen if the Automatic Update service is
disabled.

Click Start, select Run and type: Services.msc
Press Enter
Locate the - "Automatic Update"
Make sure the service is not disabled and started.

"The Windows Update Service is not available" and all of the check boxes and
drop-down menus are greyed out. Automatic Update Service is missing from the
services.msc list.
Can happen if the wuaueng.dll file is not registered.

Register the file wuaueng.dll:
Click Start, select Run
Type: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
Press OK.

If all else fails:
Windows Update Greyed Out - Restore (Line 179)

"Rohit" <Rohit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP Professional with SP2. The Automatic Update is disabled. If click
> on "Turn on Automatic Updates" in the Security Center, I get an error statig:
> We're sorry the Security Center could not change your settings. Try changing
> it yourself in control Panel"
>
> When I click on Automatic Updated in Control panel, all radio buttons are
> grayed out.
>
> How do I re enable Automatic updates. Thanks

rohit

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004

thanks

"Taurarian" wrote:

> Hi there, perhaps this will assist:
>
> Automatic updates greyed out
> Click Start, select run and type in: services.msc,
> Now scroll down to the autoupdate service and double click it.
> Start it and set the startup type to automatic, then reboot.
>
> “The Windows Update Service is not available" and all of the check boxes and
> drop-down menus are greyed out. This can happen if the Automatic Update service is
> disabled.
>
> Click Start, select Run and type: Services.msc
> Press Enter
> Locate the - "Automatic Update"
> Make sure the service is not disabled and started.
>
> "The Windows Update Service is not available" and all of the check boxes and
> drop-down menus are greyed out. Automatic Update Service is missing from the
> services.msc list.
> Can happen if the wuaueng.dll file is not registered.
>
> Register the file wuaueng.dll:
> Click Start, select Run
> Type: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
> Press OK.
>
> If all else fails:
> Windows Update Greyed Out - Restore (Line 179)
>

> "Rohit" <Rohit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have XP Professional with SP2. The Automatic Update is disabled. If click
> > on "Turn on Automatic Updates" in the Security Center, I get an error statig:
> > We're sorry the Security Center could not change your settings. Try changing
> > it yourself in control Panel"
> >
> > When I click on Automatic Updated in Control panel, all radio buttons are
> > grayed out.
> >
> > How do I re enable Automatic updates. Thanks

You're welcome.
Kaylene

Rohit wrote:
> thanks
>
> "Taurarian" wrote:
>
>> Hi there, perhaps this will assist:
>>
>> Automatic updates greyed out
>> Click Start, select run and type in: services.msc,
>> Now scroll down to the autoupdate service and double click it.
>> Start it and set the startup type to automatic, then reboot.
>>
>> “The Windows Update Service is not available" and all of the check
>> boxes and drop-down menus are greyed out. This can happen if the
>> Automatic Update service is disabled.
>>
>> Click Start, select Run and type: Services.msc
>> Press Enter
>> Locate the - "Automatic Update"
>> Make sure the service is not disabled and started.
>>
>> "The Windows Update Service is not available" and all of the check
>> boxes and drop-down menus are greyed out. Automatic Update Service
>> is missing from the services.msc list.
>> Can happen if the wuaueng.dll file is not registered.
>>
>> Register the file wuaueng.dll:
>> Click Start, select Run
>> Type: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
>> Press OK.
>>
>> If all else fails:
>> Windows Update Greyed Out - Restore (Line 179)
>>

>> "Rohit" <Rohit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I have XP Professional with SP2. The Automatic Update is disabled.
>>> If click on "Turn on Automatic Updates" in the Security Center, I
>>> get an error statig: We're sorry the Security Center could not
>>> change your settings. Try changing it yourself in control Panel"
>>>
>>> When I click on Automatic Updated in Control panel, all radio
>>> buttons are grayed out.
>>>
>>> How do I re enable Automatic updates. Thanks

knaugle

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Unfortunately what is suggested here didn't work for me. Turns out it was a trojan that was stopping the update service and disabling Norton Internet Security (my anti virus program). Norton has a program that I downloaded and that couldn't even get it. A friend of mine recently told me about AVG Anti Virus so I gave it a shot and it actually removed the virus. I was able to get the services started and I'm back in action! Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is beating their head against a wall like me. ;-)

Carriann36

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009

Hi there, perhaps this will assist:

Automatic updates greyed out
Click Start, select run and type in: services.msc,
Now scroll down to the autoupdate service and double click it.
Start it and set the startup type to automatic, then reboot.

“The Windows Update Service is not available" and all of the check boxes and
drop-down menus are greyed out. This can happen if the Automatic Update service is
disabled.

Click Start, select Run and type: Services.msc
Press Enter
Locate the - "Automatic Update"
Make sure the service is not disabled and started.

"The Windows Update Service is not available" and all of the check boxes and
drop-down menus are greyed out. Automatic Update Service is missing from the
services.msc list.
Can happen if the wuaueng.dll file is not registered.

Register the file wuaueng.dll:
Click Start, select Run
Type: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
Press OK.

If all else fails:
Windows Update Greyed Out - Restore (Line 179)

"Rohit" <Rohit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP Professional with SP2. The Automatic Update is disabled. If click
> on "Turn on Automatic Updates" in the Security Center, I get an error statig:
> We're sorry the Security Center could not change your settings. Try changing
> it yourself in control Panel"
>
> When I click on Automatic Updated in Control panel, all radio buttons are
> grayed out.
>
> How do I re enable Automatic updates. Thanks
Well this worked for me! after I got rid of the malware that was infecting by running avg in safe mode I was left with no auto. udate in services and this .dll put it right back! Thanks so much!

Blue Harvest

Thank you!

"Register the file wuaueng.dll:
Click Start, select Run
Type: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
Press OK. "

I had a XP Security Trojan that I fixed but this was the last piece of the puzzle.

Worked for me!

Darren_peel

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Yes, thanks a million! I had the exact same problem (XP SP3, McAfee). I used Spybot to remove the trojan, and your remedy to restore auto updates.

ABSOLUTELY awesome, thank you very much. I had exactly the same issue as stated above. Well, my boss did. He asked me to fix his computer. (Pay rise for me. Maybe.)

roe1478

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
You can't even find this information on the microsoft website....Go figure. After almost 17 man hours of trying to fi this problem I have finally gotten it to work. I used malwarebytes to remove any trojans on the laptop, but I couldn't get the automatic updates to enable until I ran this sweet command. Thank you sooo much for your post!!!! It worked like a charm!