Automatic update not working

Greetings all.

The Automatic Update icon appears (in yellow) in my taskbar but always
indicates 0%.

I've tried updating from the Microsoft update website directly. It
checks for updates required, comes up with a grey window saying
downloading Installer version whatever and then nothing happens as
well.

Am I missing something? I turned off Windows Firewall, disabled all
protection in Spywareblaster. Still nothing.

I also have Spybot Search & Destroy, AdAware, CWShredder and ZoneAlarm
on my PC but ZoneAlarm is not active.

Grisoft AVG anti-virus 7.0.338 is also installed and running but
shouldn't give a problem??

I my part of the world we pay for local calls so watching a
non-responsive screen is rather costly. Please tell me what I'm doing
wrong!!

Daniél Palm
Disability is not inability

JJ

Disable the Dialup Internet Accelerator if you are using one. JJ

"Daniél Palm" <pdp@lando.co.za> wrote in message
> Greetings all.
>
> The Automatic Update icon appears (in yellow) in my taskbar but always
> indicates 0%.
>
> I've tried updating from the Microsoft update website directly. It
> checks for updates required, comes up with a grey window saying
> downloading Installer version whatever and then nothing happens as
> well.
>
> Am I missing something? I turned off Windows Firewall, disabled all
> protection in Spywareblaster. Still nothing.
>
> I also have Spybot Search & Destroy, AdAware, CWShredder and ZoneAlarm
> on my PC but ZoneAlarm is not active.
>
> Grisoft AVG anti-virus 7.0.338 is also installed and running but
> shouldn't give a problem??
>
> I my part of the world we pay for local calls so watching a
> non-responsive screen is rather costly. Please tell me what I'm doing
> wrong!!
>
> Daniél Palm
> Disability is not inability

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

Hello Daniel,

Do not turn off your firewall while on the internet. That's a general rule.
Only if the firewall software is the "last problem issue", then, either
"tweak it" to place some microsoft sites on the "white list", or last
resort, turn it off.
Your AVG should not be a blocking factor at Windows Update.
But do turn off those other utilities when the pc visits Windows Update
(interactive mode, that is).

I am forwarding your post to Windows Update group.

You DO need to look at your update log.
See if there is an "Error" for the date(s) when you had this problem.
It will have an entry (entries) with Error that would help to pin-down your
pc's problem with Windows Update.

Use Notepad or Wordpad and open & look at the Windows Update log file
C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log or C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log

Scroll down all the way. Do you see some text with "Error 0xnnnnnnn"
(where n's are some numbers).
Please post back with that Error number and its text.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
> Greetings all.
>
> The Automatic Update icon appears (in yellow) in my taskbar but always
> indicates 0%.
>
> I've tried updating from the Microsoft update website directly. It
> checks for updates required, comes up with a grey window saying
> downloading Installer version whatever and then nothing happens as
> well.
>
> Am I missing something? I turned off Windows Firewall, disabled all
> protection in Spywareblaster. Still nothing.
>
> I also have Spybot Search & Destroy, AdAware, CWShredder and ZoneAlarm
> on my PC but ZoneAlarm is not active.
>
> Grisoft AVG anti-virus 7.0.338 is also installed and running but
> shouldn't give a problem??
>
> I my part of the world we pay for local calls so watching a
> non-responsive screen is rather costly. Please tell me what I'm doing
> wrong!!
>
> Daniél Palm
> Disability is not inability

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:35:05 -0500, "Maurice N ~ MVP"
<maurice@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hello Daniel,
>
>Do not turn off your firewall while on the internet.

OK

snip

>Your AVG should not be a blocking factor at Windows Update.
>But do turn off those other utilities when the pc visits Windows Update
>(interactive mode, that is).

OK

>I am forwarding your post to Windows Update group.

Thanks

>You DO need to look at your update log.
>See if there is an "Error" for the date(s) when you had this problem.
>It will have an entry (entries) with Error that would help to pin-down your
>pc's problem with Windows Update.
>
>Use Notepad or Wordpad and open & look at the Windows Update log file
>C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log or C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log
>
>Scroll down all the way. Do you see some text with "Error 0xnnnnnnn"
>(where n's are some numbers).
>Please post back with that Error number and its text.

The log file is quite large as I tried several times to download,
waited and waited then disconnected my dial-up connection, tried again
and again and so on.

Anyway, found an 'error' line, before it is the following:

2005-08-24 07:55:03+0200 844 420 Required Version for
binary C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdm.dll is: 5,8,0,2469

then a lot of lines stating which dll's required then:

2005-08-24 08:00:04+0200 844 420 Send failed with hr =
80072ee7.

then

2005-08-24 08:00:04+0200 844 420 DownloadFileInternal
failed for
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windowsupdate/b/SelfUpdate/AU/x86/XP/en/wuaueng1.cab:
error 0x80072efe

then

2005-08-24 08:00:04+0200 844 420 DownloadRequiredCabs
failed with error 0x80072efe

then the following which could be useful

2005-08-24 08:00:04+0200 844 420 OS Version =
5.1.2600.2.0.65792
Computer Brand = P4VM8
Computer Model = P4VM8
Bios Revision = P1.10
Bios Name = Default System BIOS
Bios Release Date = 2005-04-27T00:00:00
Locale ID = 1033

etc.

then

Trying to make out of proc datastore active
Out of proc datastore is now active
PT: Using serverID {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}
PT: Using server URL
https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ClientWebService/client.asmx
PT: Calling GetConfig on server
Add header for accept-encoding: xpress succeeded
Send failed with hr = 80072ee7
SendRequest failed with hr = 80072ee7. Proxy List used: <(null)>
Bypass List used : <(null)>
GetConfig: 0x8024402c
PT: Cannot recover from fault, origin=GetConfig, hr=0x8024402c
Sync of Updates: 0x8024402c
WU client failed Searching for update with error 0x8024402c
Search Callback Failed, hr is 0x8024402c
Setting next AU detection timeout to 2005-08-24 11:00:06

etc etc etc

then

Failed to upload events with hr = 8024000c.

With my luck (which is atrocious) the 'WU client failed' error above
is probably when I disconnected.

The entries above are from the first error line I encountered, about
half-way down the log file. There could be more.

I did notice something interesting afterwards though. When I turned
off my PC afterwards the system first installed something. Pity it
didn't say what. There was only one item and I recall that there
should have been 3 items downloaded according to the Windows download
dialog earlier. I think the hang-up was during the download of Windows
Installer, version 3.1 if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately the relevant Windows pages in my IE History have expired
(probably set like that with a META tag or something) and I can't get
back to see what the 3 items to be downloaded were.

The 'Preparing to download' progress bar on the Windows website stayed
blank all the time, so I didn't have a clue if something was happening
or not.

Thanks for the help.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:05:06 -0700, "JJ" <nadanadanada@nada.com>
wrote:

>Disable the Dialup Internet Accelerator if you are using one. JJ

Didn't know there's something like that so I'm probably not using it.

<maurice@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hello Daniel,

snip

Shortly after posting my earlier reply to your post I clicked on the
automatic update icon in the taskbar and the next thing I know it's
installing Installer Version 3.1 and I get the 'You have successfully
updated your computer . . .Restart now' window.

Aaaaaaargh!!!

So it seems that 2 (at least) of the three items to be updated
originally listed by the MS update site are possibly/probably
installed properly now. I'm not really sure at all.

Is there anywhere in XP that I can check what has been updated or
installed by the update process??

I'll go back to the Windows Update site tonight (South African time,
that'll be tomorrow daytime your time I suppose) as our phone calls
are cheaper after 7pm to check if there's still something else not
updated yet.

Thanks.

http://www.lando.co.za/pdp

>--
>Maurice N
>MVP Windows - Shell / User

Do re-visit Windows Update again, and while there, look at left-hand option
to View Install (update) history.

For the 0x80072EE7 error
This is the "short link" to suggested resolution(s) from Windows Update
Troubleshooter:
http://tinyurl.com/dzlyl

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

> Shortly after posting my earlier reply to your post I clicked on the
> automatic update icon in the taskbar and the next thing I know it's
> installing Installer Version 3.1 and I get the 'You have successfully
> updated your computer . . .Restart now' window.
>
> Aaaaaaargh!!!
>
> So it seems that 2 (at least) of the three items to be updated
> originally listed by the MS update site are possibly/probably
> installed properly now. I'm not really sure at all.
>
> Is there anywhere in XP that I can check what has been updated or
> installed by the update process??
>
> I'll go back to the Windows Update site tonight (South African time,
> that'll be tomorrow daytime your time I suppose) as our phone calls
> are cheaper after 7pm to check if there's still something else not
> updated yet.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Daniél Palm
> Disability is not inability
> http://www.lando.co.za/pdp

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:35:05 -0500, "Maurice N ~ MVP"
<maurice@mvps.org> wrote:

snip

Hi Maurice.

As I said I'll do in a previous post I went back to the Windows Update
site.

This time it downloaded and installed 'Windows Genuine Advantage
Validation Tool', the downloading progress bar was there, the kb's
downloaded were showing and the 'Installing' progress bar also worked
fine.

I assume this was the third item of the three originally to be
downloaded.

The 'Review Installation Results' page also came up with 'The software
upgrade is complete' so everything seems to have worked.

At last!!!

It still stumps me why it didn't go smoothly like this during the
first few attempts but, as with my car, as long as it works I'm happy!

Thanks for the help.

Daniél Palm
Disability is not inability

Very good. YW