Automatic Update

Hi. Just breaking in a new XP machine. Today, when I get online I see the
modem icon on. Sending and receiving lots of bits. I have Norton
Systemworks 2004 and the have latest virus definitions. I went and set the
windows automatic update to the first option, tell me when it wants to
download and tell me when to install. Still, as soon as I get online,
things start to upload/download.

Question. Is there anyway to tell if my connection traffic is from the
windows automatic update? I don't mind the traffic, as long as I know where
it's coming from. In the meantime, I will do a full hard drive virus scan.
Just in case...Dennis

I let the download run. It was the windows automatic update. Installed the
latest security fixes.

When I brought up the task manager, the only processes using cpu time were
the SYSTEM processes. I just wished some taskbar icon would show when auto
update is doing something...Dennis

"Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> Hi. Just breaking in a new XP machine. Today, when I get online I see
the
> modem icon on. Sending and receiving lots of bits. I have Norton
> Systemworks 2004 and the have latest virus definitions. I went and set
the
> windows automatic update to the first option, tell me when it wants to
> download and tell me when to install. Still, as soon as I get online,
> things start to upload/download.
>
> Question. Is there anyway to tell if my connection traffic is from the
> windows automatic update? I don't mind the traffic, as long as I know
where
> it's coming from. In the meantime, I will do a full hard drive virus
scan.
> Just in case...Dennis

To answer your original question, you can use "netstat" from a Command
Window (Start\Run, enter "cmd") to see what processes are connecting to the
Internet.

--
Please reply in newsgroup.

> I let the download run. It was the windows automatic update. Installed
the
> latest security fixes.
>
> When I brought up the task manager, the only processes using cpu time were
> the SYSTEM processes. I just wished some taskbar icon would show when
auto
> update is doing something...Dennis
>
> "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. Just breaking in a new XP machine. Today, when I get online I see
> the
> > modem icon on. Sending and receiving lots of bits. I have Norton
> > Systemworks 2004 and the have latest virus definitions. I went and set
> the
> > windows automatic update to the first option, tell me when it wants to
> > download and tell me when to install. Still, as soon as I get online,
> > things start to upload/download.
> >
> > Question. Is there anyway to tell if my connection traffic is from the
> > windows automatic update? I don't mind the traffic, as long as I know
> where
> > it's coming from. In the meantime, I will do a full hard drive virus
> scan.
> > Just in case...Dennis

Thanks...Dennis

"Delwin Lee [MSFT]" <delwinl@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To answer your original question, you can use "netstat" from a Command
> Window (Start\Run, enter "cmd") to see what processes are connecting to
the
> Internet.
>
> --
> Please reply in newsgroup.

rights.

> "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> > I let the download run. It was the windows automatic update. Installed
> the
> > latest security fixes.
> >
> > When I brought up the task manager, the only processes using cpu time
were
> > the SYSTEM processes. I just wished some taskbar icon would show when
> auto
> > update is doing something...Dennis
> >
> > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi. Just breaking in a new XP machine. Today, when I get online I
see
> > the
> > > modem icon on. Sending and receiving lots of bits. I have Norton
> > > Systemworks 2004 and the have latest virus definitions. I went and
set
> > the
> > > windows automatic update to the first option, tell me when it wants to
> > > download and tell me when to install. Still, as soon as I get online,
> > > things start to upload/download.
> > >
> > > Question. Is there anyway to tell if my connection traffic is from
the
> > > windows automatic update? I don't mind the traffic, as long as I know
> > where
> > > it's coming from. In the meantime, I will do a full hard drive virus
> > scan.
> > > Just in case...Dennis

You may want to type

netstat -a -o

then

tasklist /fi "PID eq nnn"
(where nnn is the PID returned by netstat)

http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
"Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message news:ezzfqJGLEHA.2716@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks...Dennis
>
> "Delwin Lee [MSFT]" <delwinl@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > To answer your original question, you can use "netstat" from a Command
> > Window (Start\Run, enter "cmd") to see what processes are connecting to
> the
> > Internet.
> >
> > --
> > Please reply in newsgroup.

> rights.
> >

> > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> > > I let the download run. It was the windows automatic update. Installed
> > the
> > > latest security fixes.
> > >
> > > When I brought up the task manager, the only processes using cpu time
> were
> > > the SYSTEM processes. I just wished some taskbar icon would show when
> > auto
> > > update is doing something...Dennis
> > >
> > > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> see
> > > the
> set
> > > the

> the
> > > where
> > > scan.

It does show if you ask it to. In Control Panel - System - Auto Update you can set options