Automatic vs Manual Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

glitchmaster0001

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Hi, I was wonder what are the differences between automatic and manual transmissions and what are the advantages and disadvantages between the two any suggestions on which type of transmission is better?

PvtWiggles

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Automatic

Advantages: Easier to drive, sometimes better fuel economy IF it's a good transmission.

Disadvantages: Noramlly more expensive to repair if it breaks, cars are slower with automatic gearboxes (unless its a highend car), boring.

Hope this helps :) I'd always pick manuals.

glitchmaster0001

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
thank you for all your feedback! i did a little bit of asking around and i heard that manual cars save more gas and they tend to last longer than an automatic is that true? thanks

SeanKyle

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Yeah, Manual transmission gives you more freedom to drive it your way. The fuel efficiency also depends on the way you are driving. Plus, it is fun to drive a car with manual transmission, because you have to do stuff yourself so you can do the driving your way :)

twisted46

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Not only have I owned many of both, but I actually swapped the SMG(not exactly automatic but fairly similar) in a previous car to the manual option making a direct comparison with pros and cons very easy.

Manual Pros:
-if you like to drive this makes even the dullest of cars a lot more fun to drive
-ultimate control-ability
-easier to drive in snow/ice if you are skilled
-better mpg if used correctly
-theft proof lol, but really a read a recent article saying that in modern day so few Americans can drive stick that the chance of you car being jacked is much lower. On the flip side of that it is also much easier to but a manual into neutral and roll it.

Manual cons:
-obviously harder to learn, you have to be fairly patient and work through making many embarrassing mistakes in traffic
-another thing to think about. you now obviously have a 3rd pedal to account for during driving
-traffic... sports cars owners do not refute this, i own and M and am say that driving a stick in stop and go rush hour suck majorly. If you have a long uphill climb you sit on during your morning commute like me driving a stick is not exactly taxing or difficult but to say it is no worse than in a automatic is just silly.
- you dont have a free hand all of time. you have to be able to shift which can make holding a coffee, driving pets/children(ha nerds dont have kids...) and talking on the cell much more difficult, and most importantly, eating that before school/work sandwich harder.
-more frequent maintenance. now this will vary, and in general service and parts will be cheaper, but the shit linkage bushings and clutch will have to be replaced several times over the same life of an automatic transmission, but the actual gears of the transmission should last much longer if driven nicely.
-more failure points, kinda goes with the statement above.

-This could be a negative or positive depending on your situation: other being able to drive your car. For me this is a plus because I am an motoring enthusiast and the though of someone not treating of my bimmers that way I would kills me. The major drawback for me is that if my GFs car is in for service I have to taxi her around.

you asked and you received lol, but in general if you would prefer a more relaxed and hassle free ride then go with an auto.

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
twisted is dead on! Great post!

Cost wise, the average clutch lasts about 100k (some many more, some many less, depends on driving style). Which averages 300-800 for replacement on a normal basic automobile (more on high end cars, less on cheaper one). which are easy to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined. Automatic transmissions should be flushed every 60k (ball park) and using a chrysler dealers quote for a minivan, $220.00. So cost wise, if nothing goes wrong, they are just about a wash as far as maint costs go once you hit 120k

Standards are thought to have a higher level of reliablilty, but then again, they are less common, so I would assume that they are at around the same percentage wise.

as with the gas mileage, some cars it's 100% true, manuals get better gas mileage, some models it's not. Some are around the same (even in cheap cars, like the Chevy Cruze Eco, it's 33 combined with the manual, 31 with the automatic, which is pretty close)

But if you like driving, a Manual is the only way to go in smaller cars, fast cars, well, it's preference. My Friend with his LS1 in his Trans Am and 6 speed manual would always lose to my LT1 Firebird with a 4 speed automatic. (my bird makes similar power, 331 HP and 320 ft^3 at the wheels)

Mercman91

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015
In the situations I have had manuals are a lot more durable I have had a few cars with over 200,000 miles on the same clutch. Also alot cheaper if your buying a car new manual is most always cheaper than an automatic, if that car comes in a manual though. Just not as many manuals anymore. Another thing in my experience is they get a "little" better gas mileage.

Xharon

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
If you want to learn how to drive like a pro then manual transmission is the best thing to help you :D

Consider yourself lucky if the car you want is actually available with a regular manual. Just about all vans, SUVs, and trucks short of two-ton (Class 6) are automatic-only. Most luxury cars are automatic-only and many high-end sports cars are automated-manual only. About the only units still left with a manual as an option are inexpensive small cars, generally foreign midsize cars, and then sporty cars under about $75k.

The lack of a conventional clutched manual is spreading elsewhere too. Most buses are automatic-only and many heavy trucks are starting to offer automatics as an option in these previously manual-only units. Tractors are also moving towards hydrostatic transmissions instead of the traditional clutched manuals.

Personally, I'd prefer a good synchronized manual in both a vehicle and a tractor. Unsynchronized transmissions can be difficult to shift cleanly every time, and slushboxes aren't any fun either.

simonmarkis

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
Another thing to take in consideration is that a manual transmission will require a clutch replacement after 50-100k miles, depends on how you drive it. If you know that your gears are slipping but decide not to replace it you might just not be able to switch gears in the middle of the road. If you drive like, well, let's say not a crazy person, but fast. You'll want to learn how to rev-match (unless you get a car that does it for you) otherwise you ruin your tranny with time. Another thing to consider is that if you're getting a sport vehicle some of them come with a double clutch transmission which have launch control. As mush as I love manual it will never be able to launch as good as that double clutch one. Then there's a whole thing about double clutching in old cars and making sure you don't ruin your syncos in new ones. If you just enjoy driving in some forgotten roads then you have to get a manual, but if you're one of those people who thinks cars are just to get from point A to point B you'll probably hate it.

What sort of manuals are you driving that need a clutch after 50k miles? In my previous car, I had the transmission off and decided to do the clutch while it was apart. It still had a good deal of life left in it at 170,000 miles.

My current car just rolled past 200,000, and I have utter confidence that the transmission (and clutch) will outlast the usefulness of the vehicle.

Manual transmissions tend to last a lot longer than automatics, but this is only an issue if you're buying used with a lot of miles, or generally keep your cars past 150k.

simonmarkis

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015

It depends what you drive. If you drove evo x for more than 50k and your clutch is fine then you're driving it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.