[SOLVED] Automatic windows update without cloning or imaging

Apr 17, 2019
Ok, so i work in a mid size repair shop that does a fair amount of custom pc setups of local business and what not.
a fair portion of my day goes to babysitting computers doing their catchup of windows updates. we are not large enough to bother with automatic deployment software, but i was wondering if anyone out there knew of any programs that just performed those updates automatically inside windows.
hell, if theres something like Ninite for windows setup i would be so happy.

anyone got any ideas or should i dig out my old networking books and catchup on MDK

Solution
I used to use WuInstall (website here) on a largish network before we got SCCM. It can automatically reboot, check for more updates and install them repeatedly until no further updates are found.

You can have it shut down when finished or run a script (I used to have a script that ran cleanmgr then MyDefrag before shutting down).

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I used to use WuInstall (website here) on a largish network before we got SCCM. It can automatically reboot, check for more updates and install them repeatedly until no further updates are found.

You can have it shut down when finished or run a script (I used to have a script that ran cleanmgr then MyDefrag before shutting down).

Solution
Apr 17, 2019
I looked into that and it seems that thats meant to be used if i was continuing to manage their updates after they collect.
What i need is something to automate that initial update than nothing. our store doesnt do managed services

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I've used it on one-off installs without problems when building/repairing people's home systems; it doesn't change the group policy settings or require a WSUS server to run. It simply "drives" the Windows Update client in whatever mode it is currently configured (stand-alone, managed, etc.)