Autorun exe file

May 6, 2018
Hello everyone,

This tuesday I will have to do a presentation and wanted to have everything go streamlined. As such, I searched online how to create an autorun file so that when I inserted a USB the program would automaticly open.

This is the script I used:

[autorun]
Icon=insertname.ico
Label=insertname
;Open=insertname.exe
ShellExecute=insertname.exe
UseAutoPlay=1

I saved it on the USB as a ".inf" file and obviously I updated the information of the "insertname" to the actual file names, but I can't seem to get the autorun to work. Whenever I plug the USB in, it says there is a problem with reading the USB, however, when I open the USB normally by going to file explorer, all the files are there and I can open the exe manually. I'd really like for this autorun to work so I don't have to do all this manually when I do the presentation. Does anybody know what my problem is?

Solution
it's likely that your school system has .exe files blocked for security reasons. last school system i worked for had scripts, batch files, exe files and just about everything else blocked, especially from an external drive.

could be the problem you are running into. no way around that unless the network admin is willing to unblock it for you which is unlikely. you could try running it from a teacher account if yours is willing. they may have less strict blocking in place than a student account.
Removable devices such as driver disks, program and game disks often have an autorun.ini
Possibly runing a setup.exe of some kind

For security reasons most recent windows versions will block autorun.ini
Some av programs also try to protect you

What program do you want to run?
Is it a power point presentation?

If using your own laptop you could get it to work reliably

But trying some one elses system would be problematic

Regards
Mike Barnes

May 6, 2018

I'm trying to run an exe file from the program "Prezi", I've been using it for quite some time now and figured out you can download an exe to run the prezi without having to open it in a browser with the link or having the desktop app. My goal is to plug in my USB in the computer from school and have it automaticly open the exe file without having to manually click it. I could bring my laptop but that would require way too much installation because it'll have to connect to a projector and so on and so forth.

May 6, 2018

I tried your lines of code and the same result: "There is a problem with this USB" comes up. No autorun either. Thank you for replying though and trying to help me!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's likely that your school system has .exe files blocked for security reasons. last school system i worked for had scripts, batch files, exe files and just about everything else blocked, especially from an external drive.

could be the problem you are running into. no way around that unless the network admin is willing to unblock it for you which is unlikely. you could try running it from a teacher account if yours is willing. they may have less strict blocking in place than a student account.

Solution
May 6, 2018

Looks like i'll have to open it manually then, it's okay. Thought I'd try it for the sake of trying it. Thank you for all your help though, everyone!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no problem. you had a good time saving idea but it was stomped on by the school network more than likely. when i was teaching, i used my personal laptop and cell phone hot spot rather often due to how crazy locked down my classroom pc was. trust me i have felt the pain many times.

that and the crappy school pc was not strong enough to run all the stuff i wanted to in my lessons. so it was my laptop and vga cable to the projector for me most of the time.