Question Av receiver

Aug 25, 2019
So I've never hooked up my computer to a av receiver before. Well bought a used one off offer up and it doesnt seem to work. ( computer screen blinks green).. so my question is, when buying a receiver what specs should I look for ? All I want is really surround sound for my desktop... these are my specs
ocessor Type:AMD Ryzen™ 5 2400G Processor, Quad-Core
Processor Speed:3.60GHz
Cache:6 MB Cache
Memory (RAM):8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM memory (1 x 8 GB)
Maximum Memory Expansion:(expandable to 32 GB (2 x 16 GB)

Graphics:AMD Radeon™ Vega 11 Graphics
Audio:5.1 surround sound

Everybody says "all I want" without realizing, A requires B and C and D blah-blah etc.

All u want is surround audio you say, don't care about video, not routing video through AVR... OK then, that's what seems you said.

Very simple then, do a Toslink hookup between desktop and AVR, BAM! Toslink always work, available everywhere.

On your next post, hope to hear u say what have u done so far so nobody here have to guess.

Aug 25, 2019
Everybody says "all I want" without realizing, A requires B and C and D blah-blah etc.

All u want is surround audio you say, don't care about video, not routing video through AVR... OK then, that's what seems you said.

Very simple then, do a Toslink hookup between desktop and AVR, BAM! Toslink always work, available everywhere.

On your next post, hope to hear u say what have u done so far so nobody here have to guess.

Well ok.. I had a old receiver.... hooked it up and all I got was the video that blinked green on my monitor. That was a pioneer receiver... I'm not to computer savvy so not sure what you mean by what else I've done... I was just wanting to know if there was something specific in the receiver specs I should look for so, so when I buy a different receiver it will work.. and yes video, and audio through hdmi is what I'm looking for. you must be having a bad day... understandable.. didnt even know what a toslink was till you mentioned it.. so thank you for that...

not sure what you mean by what else I've done.
Specifically how you have them hooked up currently? Because you say u primarily interested in sound, then u mention a green screen.

Mostly is very simple (can get complicated if you want to), but basically you want an AVR with multiple HDMI inputs, a couple of toslink input don't hurt then you hook them up this way, typical:

PC Video+Audio ----- (HDMI)----> AVR ----(HDMI)---> TV/Monitor.

The AVR strips the audio information and send them to speakers, and route video information to TV/monitor.

Your AVR manual (all manuals are download-able nowadays) contain what typical things you may want to do with it. A PC added to the mix, a PC is just ANOTHER source (like mp3 player, turntable etc) hooked up to an AVR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustinxxx
Aug 25, 2019
Specifically how you have them hooked up currently? Because you say u primarily interested in sound, then u mention a green screen.

Mostly is very simple (can get complicated if you want to), but basically you want an AVR with multiple HDMI inputs, a couple of toslink input don't hurt then you hook them up this way, typical:

PC Video+Audio ----- (HDMI)----> AVR ----(HDMI)---> TV/Monitor.

The AVR strips the audio information and send them to speakers, and route video information to TV/monitor.

Your AVR manual (all manuals are download-able nowadays) contain what typical things you may want to do with it. A PC added to the mix, a PC is just ANOTHER source (like mp3 player, turntable etc) hooked up to an AVR.
The old receiver was as you said hdmi from computer to receiver and the another hdmi to the monitor... I tried another monitor and it did the same green screen blink thing.. so which led me to believe the receiver wasnt able to handle it... it worked one time, then when the monitor went to sleep, it started back up... sound was great, it was the video that was messed up.. should of put all that in the original post... so was just curious if there was something inside the receivers components I should look that will process the video part of it so indont have the same issue when I buy another one, since I'm cheap and will probably buy a used one lol.

First generation HDMI used to have lots of switching issues. More modern AVR of only a few years old should be OK.

Currently HDMI 2.0 is the standard, able to handle 4K @60 hz, must also purchase HDMI 2.0 compliant cables as well.

U did not disclose precise make/model or AV nor TV/monitor. What am saying it if you old TV/Monitor is maxed out to handle 720 resolution for example then you have to pay attention to this fact and may have to explicitly configure AVR for 720. More modern components, once again, should be more automatic.