AV Software Reduces Chance of Credit Card Theft by 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.
^-- I agree greghome.

I know of a person who used a computer who got infected with I SECURITY. Dumb enough they entered their CC info to download the antivirus....

I hope that person got what they deserved for blindly entering their CC info!

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
There's also one step that I consider essential - don't leave credit card info in store sites like Amazon and others just because the site says that it is convenient. IMHO, that is inviting theft.

In all the time I've been running all this stuff that this researcher says to run, it has not caught one single instance of any threat simply because there have not been any. Threats are pretty easy to avoid, IMHO, and reports like these just amp up the fear factor, IMHO.

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]There's also one step that I consider essential - don't leave credit card info in store sites like Amazon and others just because the site says that it is convenient. IMHO, that is inviting theft.In all the time I've been running all this stuff that this researcher says to run, it has not caught one single instance of any threat simply because there have not been any. Threats are pretty easy to avoid, IMHO, and reports like these just amp up the fear factor, IMHO.[/citation]

Really, most people aren't smart enough to avoid falling into these types of things. They run into them all the time. AV programs are for them.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]There's also one step that I consider essential - don't leave credit card info in store sites like Amazon and others just because the site says that it is convenient. IMHO, that is inviting theft.In all the time I've been running all this stuff that this researcher says to run, it has not caught one single instance of any threat simply because there have not been any. Threats are pretty easy to avoid, IMHO, and reports like these just amp up the fear factor, IMHO.[/citation]

i leave them in those sites, mainly because they have to be hacked to get the full card, and if they just purchase off amazon, than i have proof i didn't order it, and am not responseable.

cc theft is not the same as identity theft, i so despise social security numbers, wish they were an opt in thing.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]This is like saying using condoms reduces the chances of having babies......Besides, what good is all those anti-virus software, if your average user is dumb enough to fall for phising scams?[/citation]

Or if they run McAfee 2006 OAS (discontinued by now) and use unsecured wireless connection because the $10 router doesn't have the processing power to support any encryption?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Does that halve the threats of loosing my card in the cloud as well? /end sarcasm. Frankly i'm more afraid of the big corps clouds who gets hacked over and over than my own security nowadays. Its not hard to figure out why they get hacked again and again, its not clever to collect all the eggs in one basket because its easier to manage and hampers piracy at the expense of peoples data security. As long as they get hacked its proof enough for me that they aren't ready to run a cloud service with MY data in it!

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i leave them in those sites, mainly because they have to be hacked to get the full card, and if they just purchase off amazon, than i have proof i didn't order it, and am not responseable. cc theft is not the same as identity theft, i so despise social security numbers, wish they were an opt in thing.[/citation]
Speaking from real life experience, if anyone gets your CC info, they will almost certainly use it at a site that is a favorite of theirs, not yours. In my instance, Mac Mall was one - I never shop there. Got full delivery info and turned it into the Secret Service. Luckily, it was a debit card and my account was overdrawn. :)

I caution against being overconfident. I delete my card info from sites, and somehow, it still got out.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]The human factor is the weakest link in any security scheme.[/citation]

"Well, our credit card or social security info hasn't been stolen yet, so why upgrade our perfectly good McAfee 2006 AV software and add a password to our wireless router?"

-My dad

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Speaking from real life experience, if anyone gets your CC info, they will almost certainly use it at a site that is a favorite of theirs, not yours. In my instance, Mac Mall was one - I never shop there. Got full delivery info and turned it into the Secret Service. Luckily, it was a debit card and my account was overdrawn. I caution against being overconfident. I delete my card info from sites, and somehow, it still got out.[/citation]

from my understanding, if its possible that a credit card is compromised, we have always gotten a new number free.

and from my understanding on law, any fraudulent purchases are not your responsibility. if they only have the creditcard, thats not hard to get out of, however, if they have your ss number, it could be years if ever that it gets wiped from your record.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
So even after installing antivirus/anti-malware software, I still have a 50% of someone stealing my credit card info?

Why doesn't that give a warm fuzzy feeling inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.