[SOLVED] AV vs. Network reconfiguration?

droidling

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
I have had my cable modem set up in bridge mode with a 802.11n router connected to it for years now. Comcast switched from providing Norton AV to something called xFi that operates through my modem, It only works if the modem is not in bridge mode. Is the functionality of xFi worth reconfiguring my network or should I buy a Kaspersky, or Bitdefender, and keep my own router as a firewall.

Solution
You likely will be fine with the once that is included with windows from microsoft. This is more being careful to not install crap you download from random places. Many people that get hit are running torrent trying to steal things like games.

Still there is nothing that you can run on a router that will prevent virus. All traffic is encrypted the router can not see what is actually being done. About all they can do is block IP but its not like a virus runs on a particular site.

I would be more worried that someone could attack your router BECAUSE it has the xfi software. I am pretty sure there is data saved to the cloud. If someone gets this they likely can use it to gain access. It is best if your router is really...
99% of not getting viruses is avoiding things that get you viruses, not so much the anti-virus programs or firewalls. Keep whatever setup you have, run the built-in Windows anti-virus or something like AVG if your want, if you are using your own router that is fine.

droidling

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
I was using Norton. Just because it was free. I downloaded AVG as a quick fix. Unfortunately I read something about them selling info from there users. I'm looking at Bit Defender and Kaspersky. I'm just not sure what xFi is supposed to do.

You likely will be fine with the once that is included with windows from microsoft. This is more being careful to not install crap you download from random places. Many people that get hit are running torrent trying to steal things like games.

Still there is nothing that you can run on a router that will prevent virus. All traffic is encrypted the router can not see what is actually being done. About all they can do is block IP but its not like a virus runs on a particular site.

I would be more worried that someone could attack your router BECAUSE it has the xfi software. I am pretty sure there is data saved to the cloud. If someone gets this they likely can use it to gain access. It is best if your router is really stupid and does not allow any access except via a ethernet connected pc to configure it.

Solution