AV7 And ATA100 Problem

G

I have recenntly installed a new ATA/100 compatable HD and hooked the ATA cable and drive to my port. Everything was blazin fast up till I fired up my cable modem to download at super high speeds. Well after about 30 secs of downloading at 300k a sec or so my computer locked hard. I restarted and it did the same thing.

Well I figured it was the drive so I put it on the regular EIDE port and it worked fine. ASUS has not emailed me back about my problem and was hoping somone here could answer my question.. Do I need a BIOS update or does the Promise driver/Bios for the ATA 100 on this board totally blow.

On a side note, anyone having trouble with FPS in tribes on a Geforce 3? I was doing fine with my GeForce and put my prophet 3 in and the thing can't handle all the character models even in 800x600 my FPS drop dramaticaly in some scenes. Anyhow thanks for the imput.

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
maybe your modem is sharing irq with your promise controller. is your modem internal or external? if it is internal, just move it into another slot.

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

G

i think what he meant to ask was is your network inteface card sharing an IRQ with any other hardware? Also, are there any conflicts listed in the device manager? do you have the latest promise drivers from the asus website?

ignore everything i say

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You will absolutely need the A7V BIOS rev. 1007, prior to this one there was a conflict between Promise controller and SoundBlaster Live! inserted in slot 4-5. For better perdormance, make sure you have also installed the latest 4 in 1 VIA service pack.

Hope that helps.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

G

Well it is not installed in slot 4 or 5 it is installed in slot 3. But I am going to update anyhow because it seems to be the only thing I can do = 0. Thanks everyone for the advice I will let ya know how the update comes.

G

Alright the problem was the BIOS. I was running version 1005c I upgraded to 1007 and the ULTRA ATA/100 works fine when downloading and is blazing fast again. Thanks for your imput everyone!