Avast: 27% Windows XP Users Plan to do Absolutely Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
The situation will not correct and XP users won't get swamped by malware attacks and those people don't care about Windows 7 let alone Windows 8 and i don't blame them.

dgingeri

Distinguished
This makes me wonder how many Windows 2003 servers there are out there. I know Win2k3 is still being supported, and will be for quite a while yet, but it is still quite vulnerable from a security standpoint.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
There's a lot of idiots out there.... or as I tend to call them, current or future botnet participants.

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I'm a dev, and absolutely love Windows 2000, but .NET forced me to upgrade to XP.
And I'll stick with XP until I get more than 4gig RAM (at which point, I might go to Win Server 2003 64-bit), or if I get an SSD, then I'll be forced to get Win7.

Windows 7 is a usability disaster... explorer, start menu, so messed up. You can't even dig deeper than a few folders in Win 7 Explorer because MS intelligently decided to remove the horizontal scrollbar! Retards.

See classicshell.net for more usability disasters in Win 7...
don't even get me started on Win 8/Win8.1 !

I've been seriously contemplating Mac OSX since Windows 8.
Most of my dev team at work have already switched to Mac Pro's.

jbrandt5

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
I am not [either] going to be bullied by Microsofts' threats. I have learned thier MO finally. It is:
Keep publishing "upgrades". Never remove the bugs, just add more features that no one really
needs, Keep hogging more and more of my hardware { now my $300 SSD is useless because
Win 8 sucks up an unbelieveable!!!! 28 GB of space } After win 98 had a "bug" yeah, right,
that gameport no longer works rendering another $300 of my hareware inop. As far as I am concerned I am ready to switch to Mac as MS is the worlds largest parasite { after state farm }

powerincarnate

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Man, a 12 almost 13 year old software and people are still klinging to it.

That's like in 2002 having one of the early windows operating systems from 1989... straight up Oregon trail playing, actual large "floppy" disk type of computers and software.

NO THANKS.

It's old, get over it and move on.

hangfirew8

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009

You paid (back in the day) $300 for a, what, 16GB SSD? And $300 for gaming h/w... yet you couldn't afford Windows 7?

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009

I am unaware of the term "hareware". Given your deficits in spelling and your apparent inability to realize that the green colored checkmark with the ABC label is a spell check button, I fail to see why I should take your opinion and conclusions as significant in any way.

xiinc37

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I'm a dev, and... Windows 7 is a usability disaster... explorer, start menu, so messed up. You can't even dig deeper than a few folders in Win 7 Explorer because MS intelligently decided to remove the horizontal scrollbar! Retards. See classicshell.net for more usability disasters in Win 7... don't even get me started on Win 8/Win8.1 ! I've been seriously contemplating Mac OSX since Windows 8.
Most of my dev team at work have already switched to Mac Pro's.
As a dev, you should be able to appreciate that the stuff under the hood >>>>> the GUI on the the hierarchy of importance. It's a lot easier to fix a broken UI than to fix a broken kernel.

Alathorne

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
My wife has a very expensive, seldom-used piece of proprietary software used to run an embroidery sewing machine. It runs on XP, and compatibility mode does not work. So we have one old PC dedicated for its use that is not connected to the Internet in any way. We won't be "upgrading" that PC, ever.

No net, no problem. XPocalypse is mostly an issue for people who don't get that.

alextheblue

Distinguished
The situation will not correct and XP users won't get swamped by malware attacks and those people don't care about Windows 7 let alone Windows 8 and i don't blame them.
In the short term, sure. But in the long term, you're way off base. Whether or not they "care" today isn't really relevant. Software and hardware vendors will increasingly drop WinXP support in the coming years. It has happened before, it will happen again. A lot of people with Windows 3.11 machines didn't care when Windows 95 came out. But when they couldn't run the latest software designed for Win9x, suddenly they started caring.

Also, malware infection rate of XP WILL increase over time. Run the original Windows XP, no patches, no service packs. Gasp! It gets infected easily! It's almost like all those security patches made it more secure! So after a few years without security patches, even the most current WinXP will be full of security holes. History repeats itself - including uneducated comments like "Oh no, nothing bad will happen even after years of known security vulnerabilities are made public and no patches are released."

alextheblue

Distinguished
My wife has a very expensive, seldom-used piece of proprietary software used to run an embroidery sewing machine. It runs on XP, and compatibility mode does not work. So we have one old PC dedicated for its use that is not connected to the Internet in any way. We won't be "upgrading" that PC, ever.
If it's not connected to the net... it doesn't really matter what OS it runs. Anyway, you could always run a VM if future events forced you to replace it some years from now, and the new hardware lacked any kind of driver support for XP.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Microsoft is really dropping the ball now. I would be hoping for a major XP disaster to happen but now it seems that even W8.1 is losing support - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-updare-mandatory-microsoft-server,26569.html

and there's pretty much nothing you can do if your system won't work under the W8.1 update.

XP is far worse and i don't expect MS to continue to update but they are already charging businesses so they can stay up to date. However MS is leaving W8 users in the dark as well so either getting Windows 7 is the best or switching to Linux if you don't want to be spending most of your time upgrading and trying to keep your system working every time MS rolls out an update.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

Online Armor is not a software firewall, it's a HIPS

It's probably your best bet if you do intend to stay on XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.