Avast Exclusion does Nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giftz

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Over the past few months I've gotten multiple (what I assume are) false positives from full system virus scans from Avast. Two were from random steam exe files from steam games I downloaded through steam. One today was from a core temp installer.exe I had sitting in my downloads folder for the past few months and I'm also pretty sure was not a virus (never was flagged as a virus the past ~100 times Avast scanned it either)

I tried adding an exclusion to Avast for my common folder in Steam/Steamapps/Common which holds all of my steam games by going in Avast to: Settings/Active Protection/File System Shield(click Customize)/Exclusions, clicking Browse and ticking the Common box at:
G:\Steam\SteamApps\common\*

^ which is what it adds to my Exclusions list. Problem is, I just did another scan and saw it still scanning the same stuff as usual and not not scanning it. Am I doing it wrong? What's going on?

Thanks for any help!

Giftz

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Sorry I poked around some after I googled some more things and read some more and someone said to add exclusions in multiple places and realized that the Active Protection isn't part of scanning, it's... active protection.

So under the tab for scanning on full scan I simply clicked Settings>Exclusions and added the same file path exclusion for my steam common folder. I watched the end of the scan. It seemed to still say it was scanning some files in the common folder which puzzled me but the scan definitely went a lot faster.

I think I might want to keep an exclusion there for my steam games common folder since I don't think I can get viruses there if I am just getting the files through downloading through steam. Is this ok to do? Think the core temp installer being flagged a virus was also a fluke but that's deleted now anyway...

Giftz

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
I just want to confirm if someone can answer, is it okay to have an exclusion for your Steam common folder which holds the game files and exes?

edit: A mod can close this thread if they want, I figured out the original problem I had and want to ask another question now, ty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS