Avast+ Malwarebytes+Comodo Firewall

DDuno

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
I'm getting a new gaming machine soon and I want to keep everything safe. Would Avast 8 (free), malwarebytes(free) and comodo firewall(free) all work well together and keep my PC safe?

Solution

Having more than one antvirus is only a problem when they provide real-time scanning. Real-time scanning is when they actively monitor your files. Everything you download gets scanned, everything you open gets scanned - it just monitors your system in general, even when the computer is idle.

Norton & AVG both provide real-time scanning, hence it was not recommended in your linked thread.

While Avast! is a real-time scanner, Malwarebytes free is on-demand. This means it only scans when you open it and press scan (or have it set on a schedule). The rest of the time it does absolutely nothing, so is fine to run alongside...

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

Having more than one antvirus is only a problem when they provide real-time scanning. Real-time scanning is when they actively monitor your files. Everything you download gets scanned, everything you open gets scanned - it just monitors your system in general, even when the computer is idle.

Norton & AVG both provide real-time scanning, hence it was not recommended in your linked thread.

While Avast! is a real-time scanner, Malwarebytes free is on-demand. This means it only scans when you open it and press scan (or have it set on a schedule). The rest of the time it does absolutely nothing, so is fine to run alongside Avast!. And Comodo is almost unrelated as it's a firewall and not AV.

In summary - You can have as many antivirus/malware programs as you like, but only one should be performing real-time scanning/active file monitoring/email scanning etc. Everything else should be on-demand scanners.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS