Average Internet Connection Speeds on a Decline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this including dial up and devices that use mobile networks in the numbers? Some of those countries are known for having even up to between 250MB/s and 1Gb/s connections available to their general populace at affordable prices. Of course, many areas would probably not have such high speeds available (especially far from cities), so maybe a lot of people use slow connections and the two sides of the equation just provide extremes that more or less balance out in this data. Seeing the minimum and maximum common connection speeds (at least one to five percent of the population) in addition to the average would be nice.

If this includes mobile internet connectors, then that could explain why the average internet speed is going down... 3G users and below would be bringing the average down for any country as the number of 3G devices grows. As 4G becomes more common place, that could be alleviated since it is fast.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
If mobile networks are included in the statistics, that would be an explanation for the decline.

I have a 100Mb/s connection at home, but I'm finding myself using my smartphone a lot more these days, and it only manages from 1.5 to 6Mb/s depending on where I am.

Yeah...piping your ISP out to the rice paddies are we?! Both USA and Canada are biga$$ Counties. I have had FIOS since day one, no complaints here...

Compare Chicago, New York, LA, etc ... I have no doubt if you're out in the Boonies you'll have dial-up.

Ohmybad

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
what do you do with internet that fast? i live in the woods with 1.2Mbps and 3g where i live is bad (better then cuba/africa speeds so i can't really complain)

Plasmid

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]Ohmybad[/nom]what do you do with internet that fast? i live in the woods with 1.2Mbps and 3g where i live is bad (better then cuba/africa speeds so i can't really complain)[/citation]

Only 1% of Cubans have access to internet just saying, It's also very slow on par with dial-up :)

madgeyu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Don’t try to hard,the best things come when you least expect them to.
hmp.gif

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
More like youtube, services like steam, internet tv, and anything video related in general. Additionally a good deal of torrents aren't piracy related and torrents as a whole are only a small blip on the radar.

Oh and websites that can't into image compression can go and jump off a cliff.

richard694000

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I have Comcast and check my speed regularly and get around 25mbs down.About 2 years ago though for some reason for about 2 1/2 months i was hitting 150 to 260mbs down and was not complaining. don't know why but i did down load the data to have proof.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Ohmybad[/nom]what do you do with internet that fast? i live in the woods with 1.2Mbps and 3g where i live is bad (better then cuba/africa speeds so i can't really complain)[/citation]

You find uses :) Mostly downloading large files (games on Steam can be 10+ GB these days). It's much more convenient when it takes 10 minutes instead of hours.

The biggest reason I got 100Mb/s is that it wasn't much more expensive than 25Mb/s or 50Mb/s. If it only costs a few € extra a month, why not go for it?

Zeppelingcdm

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I'm from Canada and I have a 30Mbs down and 2Mbs up. I feel sorry for these other sob's. The other day I downloaded at 4167KBs.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Is this including dial up and devices that use mobile networks in the numbers? Some of those countries are known for having even up to between 250MB/s and 1Gb/s connections available to their general populace at affordable prices. Of course, many areas would probably not have such high speeds available (especially far from cities), so maybe a lot of people use slow connections and the two sides of the equation just provide extremes that more or less balance out in this data. Seeing the minimum and maximum common connection speeds (at least one to five percent of the population) in addition to the average would be nice.If this includes mobile internet connectors, then that could explain why the average internet speed is going down... 3G users and below would be bringing the average down for any country as the number of 3G devices grows. As 4G becomes more common place, that could be alleviated since it is fast.[/citation]

ever see japans internet? it looks like ours about 10-15 years ago... they have the massive bandwith, but i cant understand what its used for.

[citation][nom]richard694000[/nom]I have Comcast and check my speed regularly and get around 25mbs down.About 2 years ago though for some reason for about 2 1/2 months i was hitting 150 to 260mbs down and was not complaining. don't know why but i did down load the data to have proof.[/citation]

most likely close to a backbone connection, and they didn't limit it as severely...

you can probably pay to get that speed all the time now.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I live in a suburb off Kansas City, and time warner only gives me 1.5mbps down and 300kbps up... It's "broadband" and it pings well but theres people out in the middle of nowhere getting better speeds than me....
At this point I'm just holding off until google fiber since KC is it's test city.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Over 1000ms ping on gaming? Check.

Broken DNS server that forced me to switch to Google, and do the same for all of the computers in the house? Check.

Less than 50% advertised speed of a $70 "Broadband cable" connection? Check.

Connection being put to shame by dialup at times? Check.

Go Mediacom! The monopoly ISP in my area! (The other ISP available is even worse, $60 for 2 Mb/s download.)

dade_182

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
At the moment I only have 1Mb/s. Yeah I'm one of those poor suckers from Africa (South Africa to be more precise). You get "up to 10Mb" lines here but even on them you only get about 7 out and they are about US$100 and then they still cap you at 20GB -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.