Average life span Dell Studio XPS 7100?

krisnam

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
As much as I may want a new computer the fact is the one I have (Dell Studio XPS 7100) does everything I need it to do quite well. Problem is my hard drive is failing.

I am debating on whether I should just replace the hard drive. The fear is that something else will break down and I'll end up sinking more money into it.

Does anyone know the average life span of a Dell Studio XPS 7100?

If I go the new hard drive route would replacing it with a ssd be worth it or should I just go with a a regular hard drive.

Solution
with most pc your age it the caps that were used and how well they will age. mb now today dont use paste filled caps that will dry out and fail. more and more mb vendor like msi using higher end mil spec caps. on your mb it depends on the caps the vendor that built the mb for your dell if they used cheap china caps or spend the extra few cents for better ones. over the years dell has had product recalled and class action lawsuit for mb with bad parts on them. Before the dell goes to pc heaven. look at the service part number of the power supply and mb and google them. see if there still able to buy them and if there new or all used parts and there cost. with prebuilts after a set time all you may find are repaired or used parts. if your...
That's a pretty old computer, but if it does what you need it do then get a new hard drive.

Yes, defiantly get an SSD, a 250GB should be fine normally unless you need more space then go with a 500GB.

As far as lifespan goes there really isn't a set lifespan, I have machines that still run after 17+ years.

with most pc your age it the caps that were used and how well they will age. mb now today dont use paste filled caps that will dry out and fail. more and more mb vendor like msi using higher end mil spec caps. on your mb it depends on the caps the vendor that built the mb for your dell if they used cheap china caps or spend the extra few cents for better ones. over the years dell has had product recalled and class action lawsuit for mb with bad parts on them. Before the dell goes to pc heaven. look at the service part number of the power supply and mb and google them. see if there still able to buy them and if there new or all used parts and there cost. with prebuilts after a set time all you may find are repaired or used parts. if your pc in one of them then your better off going new. a new pc going ot be faster then the older one and if your a gamer it play games better with a newer higher end cpu.

Solution