[SOLVED] Average temperatures on a Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 - 4G

xollextor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
This is my first "gaming" rig I ever got in my life so I don't quite understand the limits of this build, I just got this PC and I'm super hyped about it, I noticed this kind of an "issue" (it actually might not be!) and I want experienced people to give me their opinions and answers.

Idle: 45°c - 52°c
Environment temp: 25°c

CS:GO: 70°c
Rainbow Six Siege: 75°c
Minecraft: 72°c

All these games listed above are played on 1080p default settings, also there are no other cooling just 1 nox case fan and the GPU two windforce fans

Solution
At 3200rpm to maintain 75C, your GPU cooler is maxed out trying to keep itself at target temp.

Check out this undervolting guide for AMD's WattMan utility that's already installed within the AMD driver software. For 1380MHz, you're probably looking to set the voltage around 1110mV. Not sure what your current voltage is (presumably on auto voltage) but getting the voltage down will reduce power draw and temps.

xollextor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
Those are normal/safe TEMP values. Nothing to worry much about. The IDLE Temp is slightly high, but it's not an alarming value.
The problem is I live in a city that gets up to 47°c and I don't have an AC (used to this weather) I wonder if this could shorten the lifespan of my pc and get it to 90°c on load at this temperature

The problem is I live in a city that gets up to 47°c and I don't have an AC (used to this weather) I wonder if this could shorten the lifespan of my pc and get it to 90°c on load at this temperature

Okay, I can understand that. But you easily create a custom FAN profile via the MSI Afterburner tool/app. Do NOT let the temps cross over 80 C. You need to manually create a fan profile, so that the GPU fans will spin, when a certain temp threshold value has been reached.

Reactions: xollextor

xollextor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
Are the GPU fans even spinning at idle. Probably not (which is normal)

Your temps are normal. Most cars target around 75C by adjusting fan speeds. Question really is, what is the fan speed (% or RPM) when you're seeing 75C?
Yes at idle fans aren't spinning, but on load while at 75°c fans spin at around 2000 to 3000 RPM

I played GTA V on high settings (not high preset) 1080p for 2 hours and it registered max temp 76°c spinning up to 3200-ish RPM

xollextor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
Okay, I can understand that. But you easily create a custom FAN profile via the MSI Afterburner tool/app. Do NOT let the temps cross over 80 C. You need to manually create a fan profile, so that the GPU fans will spin, when a certain temp threshold value has been reached.
Okay, I'll see if it ever gets up to 78°c I will set a custom fan curve, I've already downloaded MSI Afterburner and set max clock at 1365 MHz

At 3200rpm to maintain 75C, your GPU cooler is maxed out trying to keep itself at target temp.

Check out this undervolting guide for AMD's WattMan utility that's already installed within the AMD driver software. For 1380MHz, you're probably looking to set the voltage around 1110mV. Not sure what your current voltage is (presumably on auto voltage) but getting the voltage down will reduce power draw and temps.

Solution

xollextor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019

Yes every setting is at default, I haven't touched the GPU settings yet, the card is only 3 days old and I don't want to touch something I don't know yet, thanks for the guide!

One quick question, will undervolting the GPU cause any FPS drop or lower in-game performance by any value? And in the long run will it degrade the hardware?

If anything it's better for long term longevity because you're pumping less volts into it and the fans aren't making as many revolutions during each gaming session. It should also improve frequency consistency of the GPU which makes games run as smooth as possible.

Win-win.....win

If you'd prefer the easy route, just post the frequency of all 7 performance states in WattMan (from that guide) and I'll tell you some voltages to start with.

xollextor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
If anything it's better for long term longevity because you're pumping less volts into it and the fans aren't making as many revolutions during each gaming session. It should also improve frequency consistency of the GPU which makes games run as smooth as possible.

Win-win.....win

If you'd prefer the easy route, just post the frequency of all 7 performance states in WattMan (from that guide) and I'll tell you some voltages to start with.
Thank you! And here is a screenshot
M9oz6sM.png

EDIT: It was set to automatic prior to that, I checked the button to make it manual and these settings came out (I didn't apply any changes though)

EDIT 2:
7yPadxq.png

Last edited:

xollextor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
Oh and another thing, is the base clock for AORUS RX 580 supposed to be at 1365 MHz? (It's also set to 1365 MHz maximum in MSI Afterburner as a default setting) I don't plan on overclocking it and will never do that, I want to keep it at default base clock.

Core Clock
MHz / mv
600 / 820
900 / 870
1145 / 920
1215 / 945
1255 / 975
1300 / 1030
1365 / 1110
That's about 10mV above my average curve. So it should be stable. If not, try adding an extra 5mV to all values and test again.

Memory Clock = 2000MHz / 940mV, Memory Timing - Auto

Once you've confirmed the above to the stable, you should be able to enable "Memory Timing - Level 2" for an extra ~5% FPS boost.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS