AVG 2013 Ping Help!

mnvikes

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Today I got AVG Internet Security 2013, and I installed it and set everything up recommended. I'm a gamer, and my Ping is normally 16-30ms but after I installed AVG, I have a constant ping of 530+ms which is unplayable. When I disable AVG, I get 16 ping again.

How do I fix this issue?

Specs:
AVG Internet Security 2013
Windows 8 Pro

P.S. I never had this problem on Windows 7. Should I just use Windows Defender? Will it protect me?

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Why are you surprised,memory resident shield does that. Also running two software fire walls at the same time. Have a check your not running two software fire walls, also dont forget if your using a router the HW fire wall may be running.
It will choke internet if the case.

mnvikes

Honorable
May 9, 2012

I don't have the AVG firewall turned on. I can't play games though. I had the same settings on Windows 7, but on 8, it blows up my ping.

mnvikes

Honorable
May 9, 2012

I see your threads on here all the time about Norton. Norton runs way to heavy, blocks off the internet most of the time, and sucks for gaming. I hate Norton

Hi :)

Thats historical tosh...Norton USED TO have that problem, they cured it in 2008/2009 ...

I am running NIS 2013 on this machine at the moment and its "Norton use" is flicking between 0 and 1% ... (normally 0%)

You other problem is that there are NOT many AV programs that work well with Windows 8 yet...

All the best Brett :)

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I'm not a big fan of AVG or Norton. Best defense against malware is to not surf the internet and educate yourselves on the risks of doing so. Set up a hardware firewall on your router. Uninstall any adobe products and stay away from Java.

If the problem is with AVG, don't use it.

G

So AV-Comparatives just threw a list together with no forethought or criteria huh?

Your generalised statement that very few AV applications work is incorrect. The OP has a specific issue of latency in games.

So AV-Comparatives just threw a list together with no forethought or criteria huh?

Your generalised statement that very few AV applications work is incorrect. The OP has a specific issue of latency in games.

Hi :)

All I am saying is that so far...on that list AVG does NOT work properly with 8....

There may be others or may not be..I will post here if we see others....

So did they REALLY test those AVs properly or just believing the Companies that produce them ?

All the best Brett :)

mnvikes

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Not true. I had Nortan June of 2012 and hated it. It had the above problems

mnvikes

Honorable
May 9, 2012

MSE is integrated into Windows Defender. It comes with the OS so you don't have to download it.

G

Of course they tested them, and their testing criteria is clearly displayed at the top of the list. The issue the OP is experiencing is one of latency possibly caused by the firewall function of AVG, that's firewall not AV operations. This latency could be caused by the number of firewall policies and the positioning of the policies that allow the game to communicate.

mnvikes

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Of course they tested them, and their testing criteria is clearly displayed at the top of the list. The issue the OP is experiencing is one of latency possibly caused by the firewall function of AVG, that's firewall not AV operations. This latency could be caused by the number of firewall policies and the positioning of the policies that allow the game to communicate.

You're correct. AVG and Avast! do not work with Windows 8 yet. I'm sticking with defender.

Kademlia

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

MSE is included in windows defender (only in windows 8). It tells you this when you try to install MSE.