steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

So here I am, about to try for the first time to get my MiniDV footage via
firewire from camcorder onto my HD using Adobe Premiere as AVI. I get on the
net to see how to then write it to DVD-R disc and keep finding lengthy
tutorials on DivXAVI to DVD. Seemingly requiring more progs etc.
e.g. 7 progs in http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=61142

Is this an option or a must do. Is there just AVI and also DivXAVI and which
should I go for, being a newbie I am bemused/confused etc !!! ?

I just want for the moment to get a copy of my camcorder footage down as an
AVI, keep that for future editing (can this only be stored on a HD ?), and
give an unedited version to friends on DVD-R for them to view it on a DVD
player sat under their TV, or their PC DVD player.

I guess the latter is convert it to MPEG2 then burn to DVD.

Actually also not sure how to do that, do I convert it to MPEG2 in Premiere
then burn it, or does my Pinnacle Expression 2.2.1.2 , the DVD burning prog
I have bought (within Pinnacle InstantCD/DVD prog) do that for me ?

Help please
Steve

(PostingKeywords#Steve6_001_AVItoDVD )

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:52:21 GMT, "Steve"
<aeroSPAMOFFgraphics@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>So here I am, about to try for the first time to get my MiniDV footage via
>firewire from camcorder onto my HD using Adobe Premiere as AVI. I get on the
>net to see how to then write it to DVD-R disc and keep finding lengthy
>tutorials on DivXAVI to DVD. Seemingly requiring more progs etc.
>e.g. 7 progs in http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=61142
>
>Is this an option or a must do. Is there just AVI and also DivXAVI and which
>should I go for, being a newbie I am bemused/confused etc !!! ?
>
>I just want for the moment to get a copy of my camcorder footage down as an
>AVI, keep that for future editing (can this only be stored on a HD ?), and
>give an unedited version to friends on DVD-R for them to view it on a DVD
>player sat under their TV, or their PC DVD player.
>
>I guess the latter is convert it to MPEG2 then burn to DVD.
>
>Actually also not sure how to do that, do I convert it to MPEG2 in Premiere
>then burn it, or does my Pinnacle Expression 2.2.1.2 , the DVD burning prog
>I have bought (within Pinnacle InstantCD/DVD prog) do that for me ?

The file you get from importing DV via firewire, with Premiere, is a
dv-avi. An avi file can be encoded, with several different encoders,
or not-encoded.

DivX is a type of encoder with which a dv-avi can be (re-)encoded. It
isn't a must, but it can be used to reduce the size of the file with
keeping a relatively good quality.

A dv-avi is just data, so it can be stored on harddisc as well as on
dvd, but cannot played from dvd with a standard dvd player.

Playing video on a standard dvd (standalone) player needs mpeg-2
encoding. So you have to use a mpeg-2 encoder to (re-)encode the
dv-avi . Some Premiere versions have this function built in, check
your version. Pinnacle's Expression's functionality is unknown to me.

If your Premiere version doesn't offer the possibiltity of encoding to
mpeg-2, then you could try: TMPGEnc DVD Source Creator from
www.Pegasys-inc.com , a quite easy to use program.

Good luck.

You don't need DIVX.

To go from AVI to DVD, you first need to transcode to mpeg. Depending on
which version of Premiere you are using, you can transcode directly from the
timeline (at least for 6.5 and later). You can also use a standalone
transcoder. tmpgenc does an extraordinary job -- very high quality
transcoding for very little cost, though it is very slow.

Once you've got your mpeg files, you need authoring software to format it
for DVD, add menus, etc. I use Adobe Encore, but it is not an inexpensive
solution.

The authoring program may or may not burn directly to DVD. Encore will, but
I find it's burning capabilities insufficiently robust, so I let it created
the DVD files on my HD, and then use Nero 6 to burn to DVD.

The combination of tmpgenc and Encore allows me to product DVDs with video
of commercial quality.