niko

Distinguished
May 3, 2001

Hi all, I have a WEIRD problem...here we go:

I have an AVI file, captured with my TV card, size roud 2GB, huffyuv
coded. The lenght of file is 4:16 min, now: I need to cut off the
FIRST 16 seconds from the video, and to do so, I tried with a little
utility which ever worked for this "AVI&MPGE splitter" or something,
which always worked fine for me,...but what happens??? I select the
part to cut&paste to make new video without first 16 seconds, but the
results is ANOTHER FILE WITH THE SAME CONTENT OF THE ORIGINAL!!! Same
long-lenght (4.16 min) but byte-lenght decreased in file size! Now
you're gonna tell: "you aren't able to use the tool" or "try cut using
another software"....yes I did! I tryed also with my video studio 5,
but the same happens!!! Help me, this is driving me nut! I am not
(more) able to cut an AVI??? Or some tricks like you cannot cut "first
parts" of a video, only "ends parts" from a certain startpoint???

thank guys

Niko

Niko wrote:

> Hi all, I have a WEIRD problem...here we go:
>
> I have an AVI file, captured with my TV card, size roud 2GB, huffyuv
> coded. The lenght of file is 4:16 min, now: I need to cut off the
> FIRST 16 seconds from the video, and to do so, I tried with a little
> utility which ever worked for this "AVI&MPGE splitter" or something,
> which always worked fine for me,...but what happens??? I select the
> part to cut&paste to make new video without first 16 seconds, but the
> results is ANOTHER FILE WITH THE SAME CONTENT OF THE ORIGINAL!!! Same
> long-lenght (4.16 min) but byte-lenght decreased in file size! Now
> you're gonna tell: "you aren't able to use the tool" or "try cut using
> another software"....yes I did! I tryed also with my video studio 5,
> but the same happens!!! Help me, this is driving me nut! I am not
> (more) able to cut an AVI??? Or some tricks like you cannot cut "first
> parts" of a video, only "ends parts" from a certain startpoint???
>
> thank guys
>
> Niko

Have you tried VirtualDub?

Without re-encoding, one can only cut AVIs from a keyframe. With
re-encoding, Avisynty scripts allow one to cut from any frame.

AviSource("SomeCLip.avi")

Load that into VirtualDub, and cut at will. Or even cut with Avisynth
itself by adding

Trim(StartFrame, EndFrame)

niko

Distinguished
May 3, 2001

Keith Clark <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<40D0CB2B.7B116FB0@hotmail.com>...
> Niko wrote:
>
> > Hi all, I have a WEIRD problem...here we go:
> >
> > I have an AVI file, captured with my TV card, size roud 2GB, huffyuv
> > coded. The lenght of file is 4:16 min, now: I need to cut off the
> > FIRST 16 seconds from the video, and to do so, I tried with a little
> > utility which ever worked for this "AVI&MPGE splitter" or something,
> > which always worked fine for me,...but what happens??? I select the
> > part to cut&paste to make new video without first 16 seconds, but the
> > results is ANOTHER FILE WITH THE SAME CONTENT OF THE ORIGINAL!!! Same
> > long-lenght (4.16 min) but byte-lenght decreased in file size! Now
> > you're gonna tell: "you aren't able to use the tool" or "try cut using
> > another software"....yes I did! I tryed also with my video studio 5,
> > but the same happens!!! Help me, this is driving me nut! I am not
> > (more) able to cut an AVI??? Or some tricks like you cannot cut "first
> > parts" of a video, only "ends parts" from a certain startpoint???
> >
> > thank guys
> >
> > Niko
>
> Have you tried VirtualDub?

not jet!

niko

Distinguished
May 3, 2001

Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message news:<70m1d0tcvf8la8fljbecvkma9gppc9pnup@4ax.com>...
> Without re-encoding, one can only cut AVIs from a keyframe. With
> re-encoding, Avisynty scripts allow one to cut from any frame.
>
> AviSource("SomeCLip.avi")
>
> Load that into VirtualDub, and cut at will. Or even cut with Avisynth
> itself by adding
>
> Trim(StartFrame, EndFrame)

Thank, I'll try. Another thing: I mistaked, the avi is not coded in
huffy, is RGB uncompressed full frame, and the problem lies in all the
captured parts. By the way, why should I "re-encoding" ? What do you
mean, renderize the project in the timeline and save work? Encoding in
such some codec? Which one? I always work with full uncompressed
video, like when I transfer from DV tape by firewire onto hd, then I
work on it "as is" (add titles, cut parts, ecc.) and only at the end I
save all encoding divx (don't shoot at me, guys!). Otherwise, I'll try
with Virtualdub...stay tuned

Bye

Niko

On 17 Jun 2004 03:41:40 -0700, mailjamez@email.com (Niko) wrote:

>the avi is not coded in
>huffy, is RGB uncompressed full frame, and the problem lies in all the
>captured parts. By the way, why should I "re-encoding" ? What do you
>mean, renderize the project in the timeline and save work? Encoding in
>such some codec? Which one? I always work with full uncompressed
>video, like when I transfer from DV tape by firewire onto hd, then I
>work on it "as is" (add titles, cut parts, ecc.) and only at the end I
>save all encoding divx

DV is encoded material, and its compression is not lossless. Anyway,
wether RGB or DV, it's all keyframes, and there's no reason you should
not be able to cut it at any frame. VirtualDub, in "Direct stream
copy" mode, should do the job perfectly.

When you use Avisynth, it yields uncompressed video to the program
that opens the script. If the original material is encoded, it turns
into unencoded one, and if you save it encoded, then you are
re-encoding it.

There's no reason to work with uncompressed material, when you can do
it with Huffyuv, which means smaller filesizes.