Question Avira Suddenly Quarantined LibreWolf?

Dec 27, 2022
I've been using LibreWolf for 2 months now. Yesterday, I downloaded and installed the new version from the LibreWolf website (113.0-3), and my antivirus program didn't give any warning. However, today, while using LibreWolf, the browser suddenly crashed, and Avira quarantined the .exe file located in the browser's location. When I checked the quarantine, I saw all the LibreWolf.exe files that I've been using for the past 2 months (about 150 of them). In a hurry, I cleared the entire quarantine, and then I scanned my computer using MalwareBytes, Avira and Kaspersky, and found that the name of the virus was Drop.Win64.Memmapself Now my computer is stable. Do you think it was a false flag?

Ralston18

Titan
Very possible.

There are many malicious websites that are totally dependent on someone misreading a link, mistyping a URL, or any number of other similar errors.

Just because, for example, "LibreWolf" appeared in the pathname does not mean that that website is a LibreWolf website.

Same holds for just about any manufacturer's name when you go looking for websites, drivers, documentation, etc..

For the most part all that can be done is to carefully examine the URLs. If the URL is not visible or you discover variations in spelling, paths, then exit and do some additional websearchs. And trust your anti-virus/malware protection and exit (if you can) at the first sign of problems....

The objective being to confirm that the website in question is really the manufactuer's website.

The simpler the URL, the better.

But not always true: e.g. www.librewolf.com (do not go there) resulted in multiple bogus websites and warnings. [ESC finally got me out..... :) ]

I also limit initial searches to one year - that shakes out some bad websites. But, again, not always.

Caution and observation are a must - especially if googling for some common name or topic.

Reactions: EugeneL
Dec 27, 2022
Very possible.

There are many malicious websites that are totally dependent on someone misreading a link, mistyping a URL, or any number of other similar errors.

Just because, for example, "LibreWolf" appeared in the pathname does not mean that that website is a LibreWolf website.

Same holds for just about any manufacturer's name when you go looking for websites, drivers, documentation, etc..

For the most part all that can be done is to carefully examine the URLs. If the URL is not visible or you discover variations in spelling, paths, then exit and do some additional websearchs. And trust your anti-virus/malware protection and exit (if you can) at the first sign of problems....

The objective being to confirm that the website in question is really the manufactuer's website.

The simpler the URL, the better.

But not always true: e.g. www.librewolf.com (do not go there) resulted in multiple bogus websites and warnings. [ESC finally got me out..... :) ]

I also limit initial searches to one year - that shakes out some bad websites. But, again, not always.

Caution and observation are a must - especially if googling for some common name or topic.
I scanned my computer with 3 different antivirus programs (one of them in safe mode) and had my Hijackthis logs examined by the necessary authorities. Despite these efforts, if there are still viruses on my computer, it seems like they have managed to infect me accidentally, as they should have gone to more powerful sources.

Ralston18

Titan
"Hijackthis logs examined by the necessary authorities".

Who are those necessary authorities?

Hopefully someone you know and/or can actually trust. That all gets faked as well.....

[Note: full disclosure, I am not familar with Hijackthis logs so will need to defer to others regarding the reliability and accuracy of the collected log data. Someone else may comment accordingly.]

If the computer remains infected then you will need to do a wipe and clean Windows install.

FYI:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366

And scan all backup files before restoring to the new Windows OS installation.

Dec 27, 2022
"Hijackthis logs examined by the necessary authorities".

Who are those necessary authorities?

Hopefully someone you know and/or can actually trust. That all gets faked as well.....

[Note: full disclosure, I am not familar with Hijackthis logs so will need to defer to others regarding the reliability and accuracy of the collected log data. Someone else may comment accordingly.]

If the computer remains infected then you will need to do a wipe and clean Windows install.

FYI:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366

And scan all backup files before restoring to the new Windows OS installation.
I am Turkish, and I had it examined by a technology moderator on Turkish forums. I also think that moderator, like you, is skilled and proficient in their job.
All the procedures I have performed indicate that there are no viruses on my computer, and I probably won't dwell on this issue any further. I cannot format my computer because it would take a long time to back up and restore a lot of data. Nonetheless, thank you.

Ralston18

Titan
You are welcome.

However, do not leave yourself at the mercy of others and lack of time.

Backing up is generally an easy process and can be automated to take place as frequently as you believe is necessary.

You can control dates, times, data, and the type of backups that are run. If you are not sure about what all is involved in backing up simply do some research to learn more. Many options available.

Many people (including myself) use Macrium Reflect. There are other similar applications available.

Or you can just do manual backups or use simple scripts or batch files to do the bulk of the work.

When data is gone it is gone. And that is a "long time". A really long time....

Dec 27, 2022
You are welcome.

However, do not leave yourself at the mercy of others and lack of time.

Backing up is generally an easy process and can be automated to take place as frequently as you believe is necessary.

You can control dates, times, data, and the type of backups that are run. If you are not sure about what all is involved in backing up simply do some research to learn more. Many options available.

Many people (including myself) use Macrium Reflect. There are other similar applications available.

Or you can just do manual backups or use simple scripts or batch files to do the bulk of the work.

When data is gone it is gone. And that is a "long time". A really long time....
Thank you for the information. I have been using Mega's cloud service to backup my phone data, but I haven't been using anything for my computer. I will consider your suggestions.