ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
Just saw Jayz benchmark video of the 3080
He said that if one got a 8700k, you will bottleneck yourself

So the quesiton is, since it now seems i need to upgrade my cpu
What do i go for?
9700k? 9900k? 10700k? 10900k?
If so, means i need to get a new motherboard...... but yeah, what cpu would be best money wise

mind you i play @ 1440p

Let's say that it slightly bottlenecks the 3080, it's going to be barely noticable
And even if it is bottlenecked, it will still churn out visual goodness

NO game out there can max a 8700K, it is IMO not a good move to upgrade
Even if you upgrade the CPU, new ones are on the horizon for Q4 2020 so not really worht it right now

TLDR: No
"Bottlenecking" is SERIOUSLY overrated :p

Keep in mind as well that so-called "next gen" games may push the GPUs harder than what we have available. Cyberpunk 2077 is looking to be next "Crysis".

If anything, if you have a CPU or system upgrade planned in the next year or so, getting a higher end GPU now can be something of a "double upgrade." Unless you really have a potato, you'll still seem some benefit upgrading the GPU. When you get a new CPU, you'll get the rest that you couldn't. But this really depends on how you do your upgrade cycles.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
No doubt the 3080 is an impressive card and the list price is very good.
Reading reviews, The main value of a 3080 will be for 4k gaming where the graphics card is all important.
Here is a nice article on cpu scaling for the 3080:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ampere-cpu-scaling-benchmarks

Down in the charts, it shows even a i3-10100 as a viable processor for 4k gaming.
If one is planning on a gaming build for 1440P, I think a processor like a i5-10600K will be just fine working with a 3080.
Here is a review.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k-cpu-review

Reactions: King_V

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Watch hardware unboxed review rather.He did the test on amd and intel.on 4k there's about no difference regardless of top amd/intel cpu because your gpu bound.You don't buy a a 3080 to play in 1080 or even 1440p.Only res that matters with this card is 4 k

jasonf2

Distinguished
I find alot of this funny. The average user is still running a 60hz monitor. So after 60-100 fps card output, accounting for frame-rate variation thru game-play, the maximum output possible visual experience for these monitors is 60 fps regardless of what steam is telling you you are running at. Fidelity improvements are big though and being able to play at ultra with ray tracing on 4k with 60+fps will be nice. This will be the first generation of nvidia cards that will make this possible in something less than the 80 series of cards. This is also the first generation of cards that will be able to run 8k on flagship level machines. So mainstream 4k has finally arrived. But unless you have a monitor with greater than 60 hz refresh and greater than 1080p the monitor is the ultimate bottleneck in most cases, not your cpu, PCI bus or graphics card for that matter.

Reactions: Quanticriver

InvalidError

Titan
Only res that matters with this card is 4 k
Lower resolutions still matter for competitive gamers who want 240-360Hz refresh for the fastest possible response time. Not going to get there at 4k for a while.

120Hz on the other hand is becoming increasingly common and affordable TV and monitor wise, so I can imagine 4k120 being the next major milestone for mainstream gaming. On today's larger screens and fast-paced content, 60Hz is struggling to keep up. This reminds me of the first time I watched an Imax movie were stuff was flying across the screen in 3' increments because the frame rate back then was only 48Hz, too low to maintain the illusion of smooth motion for the screen size to the point that this is the only thing I remember from my first Imax experience.

Watch hardware unboxed review rather.He did the test on amd and intel.on 4k there's about no difference regardless of top amd/intel cpu because your gpu bound.You don't buy a a 3080 to play in 1080 or even 1440p.Only res that matters with this card is 4 k
If your performance target is 60 FPS then sure.

But considering the card hits 120+ FPS in most titles at 1440p where the previous generation didn't a lot of the time, that seems appealing to someone like me who has a 144Hz 1440p monitor and would really want to push the FPS close to that refresh rate.

Something will always hold back performance at least a little...

I'd not upgrade CPUs until unhappy with average and minimum FPS in the games you play at the resolution/quality you play at. (Last time I checked, the 8700K was about at parity with the 3700X/3800X, which, although perhaps not matching the 10700K/10900K, it's hardly a Celeron or Pentium either!

Sep 16, 2020
Very simple test. Get your favorite game you like to play or pool of games that you play. Run 1440p turn down/off all graphics settings in the current game, make sure to unlock the framerate. Run a benchmark test whether its a built in the game one or jump in a game and fly around the course of the map simulating a play session. While doing so monitor your CPU usage. The framerate that you get while doing this is the maximum FPS your are going to achieve using your current cpu @1440p. IF the CPU utilization is not topping out at 100 percent on multiple cores and causing stuttering your CPU is fine. If it is stuttering or giving you unsatisfactory performance then upgrade to a 10700k. My opinion is you should be able to easily offload any stress put on the cpu by messing with some graphical settings making a bottleneck negligent if you go for the 3080. At the current state of gaming I have a 2080 with a 6700k @4.6ghz and many games bottle neck the heck out of it at 1080p if I am trying to get 140+ fps. So I end up usually scaling to 1440p or maxing out as many settings to achieve a middle ground where my cpu is less stressed and my gpu is more stressed. Or just cap the fps.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Just saw Jayz benchmark video of the 3080
He said that if one got a 8700k, you will bottleneck yourself

So the quesiton is, since it now seems i need to upgrade my cpu
What do i go for?
9700k? 9900k? 10700k? 10900k?
If so, means i need to get a new motherboard...... but yeah, what cpu would be best money wise

mind you i play @ 1440p
JZ is not all knowing take everything on the net with a grain of salt. I can make video's come out to any results I wish using different games or programs.

For 1440p your fine don't stress it.

Get the video card if you don't like the performance because your processor is maxed out then either overclock your CPU or upgrade.

I have a 10600K about the same as a 8700K and I'm not stressed one bit going to be running a 1440p ultra-wide.

iastesana

Commendable
Mar 31, 2018
More misunderstood than overrated. People keep asking "will X bottleneck Y" and the answer is always YES, the only difference is how bad and frequent it'll be. You only get the ILLUSION of no bottleneck when the bottleneck happens beyond the performance level you care about.
I've got an I7-6700k stock @ 4 gigs. I also have a GTX 1080 ti Strix OC Edition. Am I running into a bottleneck situation? Should I upgrade my CPU?