News Avoid Intel 13th Gen BIOS Update Issues With These Z690 Motherboards

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
This is a good point. Some old stock low end lga 1700 board will likely have the bios it shipped with.
And a Celeron G6900 (cheapest Alder) runs $75.

Also I would add to make sure the 12th gen Mobo of interest has recent updates for firmware and management engine in addition to bios or you may be leaving some performance on the table. My Asus boards were fine, but not all are and you might have to piece something together that isn't totally official.

Sep 25, 2022
Two more z690 boards with flashback: EVGA's Z690 Classified and Z690 K|NGP|N

I own the former and intend to put a 13th gen chip in it

imsurgical

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Asus ROG Strix Z690-I Gaming WiFi is a board that can be added to the list.

I can vouch using bios flashback on it before tossing in a 13700K because I parted off a 12700K before updating the latest BIOS for 13th gen support.

Nov 7, 2022
There is also the MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 (non-WiFi). The three other variations (DDR4, DDR4 WiFi, DDR5 WiFi) are already in the list.

Nov 7, 2022
Noob question: 'non-WIFI' motherboard, means...you can't use WIFI on your computer?
As the other reply mentioned, you can add WiFi, it just doesn't come standard as part of the board.

I have the board I mentioned above and added a cheap TP-Link PCI-E WiFi card in the bottom PCI-E slot. Since I got both board and card on sale, saved some money vs. buying the DDR5 WiFi version.

Reactions: martinch

SunMaster

Prominent
Apr 19, 2022
Reactions: martinch

MHzTweaker

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I tried for 2 days with an MSI Pro Z690-A WiFI motherboard. I tried all sizes of USB flash drives, formatted and wiped with every file table and configuration imaginable. The BIOS flashback does NOT WORK! You are better off buying a Z790 board, which is what I ended up doing after returning the MSI.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
heh, this wasnt an issue when i picked up the x570 board and 3900x when i got it, IF i remember right, the bios flashback the board supports, wouldnt work with the 3900X * shrug * i just contacted amd, they sent me a cpu to update the bios with, i updated it, put the 3900x in to make sure it worked, and sent the cpu i updated the bios with back to amd. i wonder why intel doesnt offer this same thing .....

Reactions: Thunder64

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
Asus boards (their cheaper boards don't even have bios flashback, you have to borrow a 12th gen chip!) are even worse as their Raptop lake bioses for their Z690 boards do not update the Intel Management Engine firmware which is required to have the M2 slot #1 to work properly. I was going crazy until someone on Asus forum told me to install windows on a SATA drive and then update the Intel ME firmware. THEN I can install windows onto the M2 NVME drive. To add insult to injury, the ME firmware can only be flashed in Windows if the motherboard BIOS update doesn't do it.

Nov 12, 2022
I tried for 2 days with an MSI Pro Z690-A WiFI motherboard. I tried all sizes of USB flash drives, formatted and wiped with every file table and configuration imaginable. The BIOS flashback does NOT WORK!

Ah, jeez, what processor were you using? At this point I'm vacillating between a good ol' 12900K and an i7-13700K and I really had that same MSI board in my sights as a solid DDR5 performer wthout extraneous crap (and a great price/reputation), I assume this wasn't your first rodeo too and I really really don't want to have to do the RMA dance if I think I can avoid it on this build with everything I got going on. So far MSI doesn't have an equivalent board on the 790 chipset that isn't saddled with useless WiFi at nearly double the price. Whatever shall I do?

Dec 14, 2022
So I have ai7 3700kf and an ASUS Z690 I mobo and it is flashback capable, only problem is that you need to update the Intel ME driver before the BIOS update to make the CPU compatible. How are you supposed to do that without access to another CPU? Other Z6XX series MOBO's have similar issues.