AVOID the Gigabyte 1080 Ti Gaming OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Hello all,

So after 5 long weeks wait for a pre-order my Gigabyte Gaming OC 1080 Ti arrived.

I am dissapointed for the following reasons;

It's the exact same windforce cooler which was on my 1070. It can't cool the heatsink well enough and when playing games such as Tom Clancy's Wildlands on ultra it hovers ~ 75C with fans ~63% which is pretty loud.

If you buy a 1080 Ti - make sure you avoid this card if you dislike noisy air cooling - buy a tier 3 card with a better fan.

to make matters worse, my card has coil whine.

Here is a video of the fan noise and the coil whine at full gaming load.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq9OXuDdTxk"][/video]

Pathetic.

edit: re-added the video and removed the profanity word in the YT title.

Solution
I'm not surprised. It looks like that card uses a modified version of the WF3 cooler. (the fan blades seem to have notches in them now, I'm not sure how that effects performance.) The 1080TI is a 250W GPU and from my limited experience that seems to be the upper limit of what the WF3 can handle. I know they say it's good to 300W, but if you want quiet operation I don't think I'd go with it. I have the WF3 on my 7950/280 which is a 200-225W GPU. Gaming is ok, but stress testing will get the fans loud. (Gigabyte also seems to lock the Vcore at the upper edge of whats safe for the chip which is ok if you are going to lock the Vcore and want to allow OCing, but bad for temps.)

For 300W cards I suggest a tri slot cooler, or one...

iamacow

Admirable
Seems about right. I generally buy Gigabyte because they are the cheapest. I just watercool my cards anyways so I don't care about the cooler. They do however Coil Whine a lot, across all series.

I take the card off your hands for the right price :)

4745454b

Titan
I'm not surprised. It looks like that card uses a modified version of the WF3 cooler. (the fan blades seem to have notches in them now, I'm not sure how that effects performance.) The 1080TI is a 250W GPU and from my limited experience that seems to be the upper limit of what the WF3 can handle. I know they say it's good to 300W, but if you want quiet operation I don't think I'd go with it. I have the WF3 on my 7950/280 which is a 200-225W GPU. Gaming is ok, but stress testing will get the fans loud. (Gigabyte also seems to lock the Vcore at the upper edge of whats safe for the chip which is ok if you are going to lock the Vcore and want to allow OCing, but bad for temps.)

For 300W cards I suggest a tri slot cooler, or one with an attached water cooling unit. Similar to what's found on the Furys. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7HN5HW8755

Solution

JStar_

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
I just had the misfortune of buying this card and it should definitely be avoided. Not so much for the temperatures but for the MASSIVE coil noise it makes. I'm incredibly disappointed at spending so much money at such a poor product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS