Avoiding counterfeit games?

Hi,

I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
(i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale" ways
to spot the bogus auction merchandise?

Steve

Steven Folberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
> (i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale" ways
> to spot the bogus auction merchandise?
>
> Steve

One thing is to make sure it's not coming from China, I've heard.

Steven Folberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
> (i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale" ways
> to spot the bogus auction merchandise?
>
> Steve

Sellers from Asia. Auctions stating "Cartridge only, no box or manual".
Auctions that state that the game is guaranteed to be "100% working" or
money back (defective authentic GBA are extremely rare so one would only
bother stating such a guarantee if it happened more often than usual).
Finally if the game is selling for an extremely low price be wary.

Also check the feedback and see what kind of negatives were left (not
just look at the number of negatives. Find and read what was said) and
see if anybody else complained that it was a bootleg.

It's unfortunate but it's practically impossible to get a non-bootleg
GBA game on eBay nowadays. I remember when you can find at least 1
auction out of 5 that were for authentic carts. Now it's about 1 out of
20. eBay doesn't seem to care even though they claim to enforce
copyright protection.

Adnan

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:40:13 GMT, Steven Folberg
<rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote:

>I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
>(i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale" ways
>to spot the bogus auction merchandise?

Shipping oversea is usually the #1 tipoff.

IMO don't buy any new games off eBay, there's too many counterfiet
games to risk your money. Buy it from a repuable web site or from
local stores.

On 10/25/04 5:49 AM, in article 3gmpn0l76huc63mobklfp6lkg174noi87m@4ax.com,
"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:40:13 GMT, Steven Folberg
> <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote:
>
>> I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
>> (i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale" ways
>> to spot the bogus auction merchandise?
>
> Shipping oversea is usually the #1 tipoff.
>
> IMO don't buy any new games off eBay, there's too many counterfiet
> games to risk your money. Buy it from a repuable web site or from
> local stores.

Thanks. Anybody give me some suggestions for reputable online dealers with
good prices and reliability?

Steve

Steven Folberg <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote in message news:<BDA25E2B.1ECCD%rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net>...

> Thanks. Anybody give me some suggestions for reputable online dealers with
> good prices and reliability?
>
> Steve

Buying from Ebay is OK if you buy from people in the US and they
state new in shrinkwrap, or complete with all manuals and inserts.
The ones that are fake are from Hong Kong usually. The best place to
buy is www.ebgames.com They sometimes have specials and free
shipping, but you're sure to get brand new originals and they ship in
good boxes so you don't get a crushed box. And they're very fast.
The only problem is that the older the game, the less likely they have
it new, then sometimes Ebay is a better risk if you want new.

Jason Costa wrote:
> Steven Folberg <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote in message news:<BDA25E2B.1ECCD%rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net>...
>
>>Thanks. Anybody give me some suggestions for reputable online dealers with
>>good prices and reliability?
>>
>>Steve
>

> Buying from Ebay is OK if you buy from people in the US and they
> state new in shrinkwrap, or complete with all manuals and inserts.

Actually, people are able to re-shrinkwrap there box with the right
equipment, so even that isn't a guarantee of newness. I've heard that
places like EB and GameStop also do this in the store, but I don't know.

Although I will say that won time a guy at GameStop asked me if I wanted
him to put shrinkwrap back on a game that didn't have it, and I know
they also have a hairdryer back there that helps seal it back up.

Thanks for the good suggestions. We have a local ebGames store. I'll have to
check that out.

SF

On 10/25/04 11:52 PM, in article
37cabe21.0410252052.75bd87ed@posting.google.com, "Jason Costa"
<jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote:

> Steven Folberg <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks. Anybody give me some suggestions for reputable online dealers with
>> good prices and reliability?
>>
>> Steve
>

> Buying from Ebay is OK if you buy from people in the US and they
> state new in shrinkwrap, or complete with all manuals and inserts.
> The ones that are fake are from Hong Kong usually. The best place to
> buy is www.ebgames.com They sometimes have specials and free
> shipping, but you're sure to get brand new originals and they ship in
> good boxes so you don't get a crushed box. And they're very fast.
> The only problem is that the older the game, the less likely they have
> it new, then sometimes Ebay is a better risk if you want new.

JF

Anyone suggest one in the UK?

JF - Edinburgh/Scotland.
> Thanks for the good suggestions. We have a local ebGames store. I'll have
> check that out.
>
> SF
>

> On 10/25/04 11:52 PM, in article
> 37cabe21.0410252052.75bd87ed@posting.google.com, "Jason Costa"
> <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > Steven Folberg <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote in
message

> >> Thanks. Anybody give me some suggestions for reputable online dealers
with
> >> good prices and reliability?
> >>
> >> Steve
> >

> > Buying from Ebay is OK if you buy from people in the US and they
> > state new in shrinkwrap, or complete with all manuals and inserts.
> > The ones that are fake are from Hong Kong usually. The best place to
> > buy is www.ebgames.com They sometimes have specials and free
> > shipping, but you're sure to get brand new originals and they ship in
> > good boxes so you don't get a crushed box. And they're very fast.
> > The only problem is that the older the game, the less likely they have
> > it new, then sometimes Ebay is a better risk if you want new.

Inferno

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

A few months ago, I bought the game Super Monkey Ball jr. and wasn't at all
aware of the fact that it actually was a counterfeit product. It worked like
a charm, and it still does actually, no problems with the save-battery
running out of power or any other malfunctions. The package did have a
stripped-down manual which was quite peculiar; I eventually decided on
opening the cartridge and it became clear I had bought counterfeit
cartridge.
I'm not planning on reporting this or something like that, as the game
works and the seller (who was actually from Europe) has already been banned
from Ebay...
Anyway... if you want to buy games cheap; I'd go for Ebay... whether the
game is counterfeit or not, the game, in the end, is all that matters (I'm
preparing to get blammed as I s'pose a lot of people disagree).

"Steven Folberg" <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> schreef in
bericht news:BDA1C3AB.1EC93%rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net...

"JF" <[nospam]@[nospam].[nospam]> wrote in message
> Anyone suggest one in the UK?

www.play.com
www.gamestation.co.uk

Deborah
--
Hamster Heaven - http://www.hamsterheaven.co.uk

JF

Can you advise how you opened the cartridge without breaking the game? I
think I've been duped but have no real way of proving it.

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:02:08 +0100, "JF" <[nospam]@[nospam].[nospam]>
wrote:

>Can you advise how you opened the cartridge without breaking the game? I
>think I've been duped but have no real way of proving it.
>
>"Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
>> A few months ago, I bought the game Super Monkey Ball jr. and wasn't at
>all
>> aware of the fact that it actually was a counterfeit product. It worked
>like
>> a charm, and it still does actually, no problems with the save-battery
>> running out of power or any other malfunctions. The package did have a
>> stripped-down manual which was quite peculiar; I eventually decided on
>> opening the cartridge and it became clear I had bought counterfeit
>> cartridge.
>> I'm not planning on reporting this or something like that, as the game
>> works and the seller (who was actually from Europe) has already been
>banned
>> from Ebay...
>> Anyway... if you want to buy games cheap; I'd go for Ebay... whether the
>> game is counterfeit or not, the game, in the end, is all that matters (I'm
>> preparing to get blammed as I s'pose a lot of people disagree).
>>
>> "Steven Folberg" <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> schreef in
>> bericht news:BDA1C3AB.1EC93%rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've read on this NG that eBay is a haven for people selling counterfeit
>> > (i.e., illegal and unreliable) game cartridges. Are there "tell-tale"
>ways
>> > to spot the bogus auction merchandise?
>> >
>> > Steve

Look out for misspelling on the cartridge too, I got Tactics Ogre as a
fake (unintentionally, I now have an original...off Ebay!) and apart
from the shoddy printing, minimal manual etc they'd spelt Nintendo
as "Ninfendo" on the cart.
Finally got hold of the original because the fake one's battery died
after two weeks.

EVERY single game I bought from Ebay.com.au has been a fake. You can tell
when you compare it with an original...the screws are different and the
artwork on the fake cart is usually ultra glossy. But most probaby the best
way to tell and this usually happens after you've had it for a while though
is that the battery in the carts starts to fail and your saved games are
wiped.

My example being with Advance Wars...after about7- 9 months all my saved
games were wiped and I had totally lost my progress in the game. Very
frustrating I tell ya!!

"TagoMago" <spam@spam-like-domicile.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:02:08 +0100, "JF" <[nospam]@[nospam].[nospam]>
> wrote:
>
>>Can you advise how you opened the cartridge without breaking the game? I
>>think I've been duped but have no real way of proving it.
>>
>>"Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
>>> A few months ago, I bought the game Super Monkey Ball jr. and wasn't at
>>all
>>> aware of the fact that it actually was a counterfeit product. It worked
>>like
>>> a charm, and it still does actually, no problems with the save-battery
>>> running out of power or any other malfunctions. The package did have a
>>> stripped-down manual which was quite peculiar; I eventually decided on
>>> opening the cartridge and it became clear I had bought counterfeit
>>> cartridge.
>>> I'm not planning on reporting this or something like that, as the game
>>> works and the seller (who was actually from Europe) has already been
>>banned
>>> from Ebay...
>>> Anyway... if you want to buy games cheap; I'd go for Ebay... whether the
>>> game is counterfeit or not, the game, in the end, is all that matters
>>> (I'm
>>> preparing to get blammed as I s'pose a lot of people disagree).
>>>
>>> "Steven Folberg" <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> schreef in
>>> bericht news:BDA1C3AB.1EC93%rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net...

>>ways

> Look out for misspelling on the cartridge too, I got Tactics Ogre as a
> fake (unintentionally, I now have an original...off Ebay!) and apart
> from the shoddy printing, minimal manual etc they'd spelt Nintendo
> as "Ninfendo" on the cart.
> Finally got hold of the original because the fake one's battery died
> after two weeks.

BlackKnight

The moral of this thread seems to be "Don't buy games from eBay".

I found one today that was described as " PLAYS AS EXACTLY AS ORIGANAL ".

That sounds a bit fishy to me!!

"kreation" <kreation@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> EVERY single game I bought from Ebay.com.au has been a fake. You can tell
> when you compare it with an original...the screws are different and the
> artwork on the fake cart is usually ultra glossy. But most probaby the
> best way to tell and this usually happens after you've had it for a while
> though is that the battery in the carts starts to fail and your saved
> games are wiped.
>
> My example being with Advance Wars...after about7- 9 months all my saved
> games were wiped and I had totally lost my progress in the game. Very
> frustrating I tell ya!!
>
> "TagoMago" <spam@spam-like-domicile.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:02:08 +0100, "JF" <[nospam]@[nospam].[nospam]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Can you advise how you opened the cartridge without breaking the game? I
>>>think I've been duped but have no real way of proving it.
>>>
>>>"Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
>>>all
>>>like
>>>banned

>>>ways

>> Look out for misspelling on the cartridge too, I got Tactics Ogre as a
>> fake (unintentionally, I now have an original...off Ebay!) and apart
>> from the shoddy printing, minimal manual etc they'd spelt Nintendo
>> as "Ninfendo" on the cart.
>> Finally got hold of the original because the fake one's battery died
>> after two weeks.

kreation <kreation@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> EVERY single game I bought from Ebay.com.au has been a fake. You can tell
> when you compare it with an original...the screws are different and the
> artwork on the fake cart is usually ultra glossy. But most probaby the best
> way to tell and this usually happens after you've had it for a while though
> is that the battery in the carts starts to fail and your saved games are
> wiped.
>
> My example being with Advance Wars...after about7- 9 months all my saved
> games were wiped and I had totally lost my progress in the game. Very
> frustrating I tell ya!!

That's why I only buy games that still have a box and manual. Plus I
check the sellers feedback and only purchase from long time established
sellers.

I've never (at least to my knowledge) bought a fake after about 20 GBA
game purchases on Ebay. Sure - I pay a lot more (still far less than
new), but I get good as new, quality games for 1/2 - 3/4 the price I'd
pay in store.

So in summary - you're buying the wrong goods from the wrong people.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

BlackKnight

"Jamie Kahn Genet" <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote in message
> kreation <kreation@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> Plus I
> check the sellers feedback and only purchase from long time established
> sellers.

That's all very well but they could be long time established sellers of
counterfeit games!

"BlackKnight" <terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com> wrote in message news:<cnjdfp$gfp$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

> That's all very well but they could be long time established sellers of
> counterfeit games!

That's true, there are people who buy from these sellers who are
happy with them, resulting in positive feedback, and then there are
people who are buying from them that don't realize they're buying fake
games and are happy they were able to get a great deal from an
importer. Many of these sellers have great feedback, and the feedback
totals are usually very high. You can't really go by feedback all the
time.

BlackKnight <terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com> wrote:

> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote in message
> > kreation <kreation@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > Plus I
> > check the sellers feedback and only purchase from long time established
> > sellers.
> >

> That's all very well but they could be long time established sellers of
> counterfeit games!

Which should, logically result in some negative feedback saying they
were fakes.

> BlackKnight <terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote in message
>> > kreation <kreation@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>> >
>> > Plus I
>> > check the sellers feedback and only purchase from long time established
>> > sellers.
>> >

>> That's all very well but they could be long time established sellers of
>> counterfeit games!
>
> Which should, logically result in some negative feedback saying they
> were fakes.

Assuming the purchasers don't like fakes, if you found a seller offering
cheap copies and didn't mind the fact that they were copies would you
complain and risk losing your source of cheap games?

jessica_schmidt93

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Sometimes it's hard to tell what is counterfeit and what is real. Usually the labels will be poorly printed, and occasionally put on crooked. And I'm not sure, but I think most counterfeit DS games start with NTR or something like that.