Avoiding Static when building a pc

gtx13

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Hey, this is my first time building a pc, and I want to hear the different methods.

I hear people say to put the psu in the case and plug it in but leave it off, but others say you just need to touch a unpainted surface of metal on your case.

On the Newegg video about building a pc, the guy told us not to put the motherboard on the anti-static sheet but to instead put it on the cardboard case.

Should you keep touching the case or a grounded metal object while installing the motherboard in the case?

Thanks if you can clarify these methods

Solution
Yes
On Faucet, Yes that would also work - Exception would be if faucet connects to Plastic pipe - LOL.

This is what I do (US). I use a power (Surge strip).
.. Surge strip plugged into walloutlet, PSU plugged into Strip. Strip turned off.
.. My wrist straps all have a bannana plug and a Alligater clip over the top. I pull the alligator clip off and plug the Bannana plug directly into the ROUND AC hole on one of the outlets of the surge strip. (PS unless you are a gorrillia you will NOT be ble to force it into the thin rectangular prongs - LOLs)

gtx13

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

I have to touch bare metal right? Not a painted surface on the case?

Totally disagree with realchaos
PS I'm ESD Certified
A Quick on ESD
http://www.esda.org/documents/FundamentalsPart1.pdf
NOTE the big effect that RH (Relative Humidity) has on the generation of static build up. Reason it is especially bad during winter. But even in the summer you can build up 100 Volt charge and NEVER know it (Takes close to 500V-> 1KV to feel it) – Someone say Ram operates @1.5 Volt, CPUs around 1 Volt and that nice shiny SSD only requires 5V.

Also NOTE “Walking Wounded” this is where a component has been damaged but is NOT dead – Performance is decreased and/or it is doomed to fail in 1 week, may one month, or could be 6 months that it then dies.
Images: http://www.google.com/search?q=damage+from+esd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=On75UeeUIKH94AOk6oCADA&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1156&bih=1003
It is estimated that close to 30 % Of Electronic subsystems returned as DOAs and “failed within 30->90 days” are a result of ESD.

1) Yes the PSU should be installed, TURNED OFF (rocker switch) and PLUGGED in. The Ground is what DRAINs the electrons away (or supplies electrons).
If a Case is UNGROUNDED, you only succeed in Equalizing the charge between you and the case – NOT eliminate it. IE Winter time you have 1KV of electron on your BOD. Touch the case and 500 V worth of electrons flow to the case and 500 V stay on you. I know I kinda used a worse case.
2) Touching the case periodically – YES for the time you touch the Grounded case, you have drained the charge – BUT how about the 5 mins later.
3) On setting the MB on a surface. It should be what is known as Static dissipative – Cardboard works, wood works, Glass DOES NOT. On the electrostatic bag – ONE side is static dissipative, one side is NOT – bottom line here is do NOT use unless you can tell the difference.
4) A fallacy, You have to touch a pin – NO if you have a charge you also have a EH field. If your charge is High enough, just bringing your pinky close (ie 1/16” -> ¼ Inch from a component can damage it.

You decide if the cheap Wrist strap is worth some piece of Mind – and possibly a whole lot of aggravation.
Personally, When I handle a GPU, Ram, CPU – I WEAR the “Geeky” strap.

YES paint is a Insulator.

Added: On Walking Wounded, Take your pick.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&q=esd+walking+wounded&oq=esd+walking+wounded&gs_l=serp.3..0i22i30.5619.10818.0.11243.19.10.0.9.9.1.458.1306.5j4j4-1.10.0....0...1c.1.23.psy-ab..1.18.882.NTfql94EzxE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=6503336793d7da41&biw=1156&bih=1003

gtx13

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for all the info, quick question for 1) :

Where exactly do I touch to get rid of my static? The PSU?

Sorry if I ask dumb questions, I'm only 15 and I want to sort out this stuff out.

When you install the PSU, The screws will connect the Metal of the PSU to the Metal of the case, so
Any unpainted (bare metal) will provide a ground.

There is a 2nd feature of a wrist strap and that is while it provides a "ground" path, it does it through a 1 meghohm resistor that limits current flow (a safety factor).

^ Video is great on steps, from what I watched.
From an ESD stand point - Failed, Our QA people would have a Conniption fit.

His opening comment about ESD bags -
Ref: http://www.esdjournal.com/techpapr/ryne/esdbags.htm
Bags that have a metalic look - generally one side is slightly Conductive and is used as a faraday cage, while the other side maybe static Dissipative.

LOL - Pink-poly has been banned from where I work.

gtx13

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
So my best bet would be is to buy an anti-static wristband and connect it to unpainted metal on the grounded case ( PSU installed, connected to power outlet, rocker switch off), and I should be fine.

Or a faucet would do, right?

Yes
On Faucet, Yes that would also work - Exception would be if faucet connects to Plastic pipe - LOL.

This is what I do (US). I use a power (Surge strip).
.. Surge strip plugged into walloutlet, PSU plugged into Strip. Strip turned off.
.. My wrist straps all have a bannana plug and a Alligater clip over the top. I pull the alligator clip off and plug the Bannana plug directly into the ROUND AC hole on one of the outlets of the surge strip. (PS unless you are a gorrillia you will NOT be ble to force it into the thin rectangular prongs - LOLs)

Solution

iamthepieman

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
I never used a strap until I fried a GTX8800 (man those were awesome cards when they came out) I was u sing a piece of cardboard over the whole table where I was building my PC. I touched the case before I handled each component. Then my hand slipped while plugging the power cable into the GPU and touched some pins on the GPU board. It could have been something else. Maybe I knocked loose a capacitor, but the card never worked after that and I combed it with a magnifying glass looking for loose solders.

I bought a cheap strap at Radio Shack and have used it anytime I open a case. I know it's apocryphal but I'v never fried another component after that and the 7 bucks was well worth the peace of mind.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

You seem to have the best answer I have found on this subject, and I have been reading endlessly about this. I am building my first comp in a few days and this has made me immensely paranoid. Does the ground still have the same effect if I turn OFF the fuses? I ordered a bracelet and from what I understand having it attached to the plugged in but OFF PSU should keep things safe....unless I get fatally electrocuted because of some unforeseen power surge?? That sounds like quite a risk.. so is that risk negated if I have the fuses off? Will the ground still act as needed?
I am planning to build it on a glass table, while sitting on a wooden stool (naked, haha...seriously) and have the bracelet attached to the powered down but plugged in PSU. Is that a safe enough set up?

@ _dawn_chorus_
Fuses are in the "Hot" Line, so pulling them is fine. However, with installed PSU plugged in to a strip (Powered Odd) and PSU Switched off you do Not need to worry about a power surge. Exception, Lightning Stick. Just clip the strap to any unpainted metal, or to a screw.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

I saw farther down you mention plugging the banana plug into the ground on the power strip, in that case I wouldn't need to attach it to the case at all, correct? The case is painted top to bottom unfortunately.