AW M17x-RAM- gaming config.

Anas Bashar

Distinguished
Hi everyone

Am building An m17x r4 specifically for gaming only.
And I got really confused by the frequencies and latencies.

Budget is ok, BUT I don't want to spend $$ on unnoticeable performance

Plus, am considering OVERCLOCKING in the near future, so I might want to leave some room for that.

Sorry if this have been discussed before, but there is always new hardware.

Lap specs: core i7-3630 +HD7970 (maby crossfired in future).

I am not sure what your exact question is.

But, for RAM you should go with 8GB of 1600MHz RAM. Anything above that won't be noticeable. You can get higher speed RAM, for overclocking, but you may see a *maybe* 2-3% increase in FPS.

One other thing, I don't know if things have changed, but it used to be that you couldn't change the graphics setup after you purchased the machine. (eg. you can't buy a second HD7970 and put it in to make it crossfire)

Anas Bashar

Distinguished

The question is about RAMs only, I added the details of the current equipment + my future upgrades plan, just to give you an idea about the current and future hardware status.

For the RAM: am also thinking about the 8GB, if I choose one with CL9 or CL8, will I notice any improvement?
Also, if an 8GB RAM is enough for now, how much will it hold? Will I need to upgrade it after a year from now?

For the Xfire: well I had been mislead by a rep from AW.... "imagine that:

No, you won't notice a difference between CL8 and CL9, but if they are both very similarly priced, of course go for the better one (CL8) assuming the speed is the same.

However if it is 2133MHz CL9, and 1600MHz CL8, the CL9 kit would be better.

I just looked at their website, and they only have 1 8GB kit option.

No, you don't need more than 8, especially since you mentioned it is only a gaming laptop. But if you do want more, I would go with 16GB (not the 12GB version, because that will use different sized sticks)

The max it can hold is 32GB.