Awful Internet Speed

Sep 4, 2018
I'm supposed to be getting 10mbps internet speed and yet my Windows 10 laptop (which I even connected to the internet with an ethernet cable) is lower than 1mbps. Is there anything wrong with my laptop or just the internet provider?

Edit: Tested internet connection on my PS4. Apperantly my downloadspeed is at around 800kbps, almost as much as my upload speed.

DSzymborski

Titan
You're talking about your internet speed and then you're talking about download speed, so first thing to do is to make sure exactly what we're talking about. ISPs will give the speeds in Mbps but if you're looking at download speed to determine your speed, you're likely looking at MBps, which is different. How are you determining what connection speed you're actually getting?

Because if your ISP is advertising 10Mbps, your absolute max download speed will be 1.25 megabytes per second (there are eight bits in a byte) and you probably wouldn't even hit quite that maximum. Now, if you're doing speedtest and it says 1Mbps, so in megabits rather than megabytes, then you do have a problem.

Aug 29, 2018

My download speed is supposed to be about 10megabytes per second, but it rarely is more than 3 on wireless (next to the router). I've tried multiple speed tests and every single one says the same thing. Upload speed isnt really as much of a problem and internet speed in general is very slow, often taking 10-20 seconds loading a site or simply not loading it at all

DSzymborski

Titan

Again, what is the basis for this? ISPs don't advertise their speeds in megabytes per second, they advertise their speeds in megabits per second. If you have a 10 Mbps connection advertised for downloads, you ought to be getting somewhere in the neighborhood of one megabyte per second of downloads. For 10 megabytes per second download, your ISP needs to be offering an 80 Mbps connection.

This terminology is *extremely* important, because I'm not sure whether you actually have a problem at all. Mbps and MBps are not interchangeable and mbps doesn't mean anything, so it's hard to parse your problem without the details being there.

Aug 29, 2018

Well damn I'm confused now. Well, I do know that on my PS4 my download speed hovers between 3-8Mbps randomly. Not sure if it's Megabytes or Megabits, but if it helps in any way on speedtest.net it's 10Mbps right after I restart my router and 1-3 the rest of the day

EDIT: I checked the internet products on my provider's website, it says 10Mbps and not 10MBps

EDIT 2: When I download something it's always between 600KB/s-1.3MB/s, so I don't think that's the problem. It's just the speed is VERY slow, and way less than advertised (They state average speed is about 90% of the product, which is 10Mbps

DSzymborski

Titan

Then there is a problem. If you have a 10 Mbps connection, then you should have a download speed of, with most things, about a megabyte per second. So if it's dropping to 1-3 Mbps, that'll drop it to a few hundred kilobytes per second, which is pretty bad. Do you have another router you can test?

Aug 29, 2018

I do have another router upstairs, which, if I had to guess, is the original and the one downstairs is just an extension. However, the exact same problems appear to be happening on that one aswell. Like, right now I had to refresh the page and rewrite this because I "couldn't reach the page"

Edit: Holy hell, I just tested internet connection on my PS4 and apparently my download speed is 800kbps while my upload speed is 1Mbps.

DSzymborski

Titan

Given that it's a problem with multiple routers and a problem both ethernet and wireless, I strongly suspect it's an ISP issue.

Aug 29, 2018

Yeah, that was my assumption aswell. I'll try giving them a phone call to see if they can fix anything. If not, I'm guessing I'll have to change providers