[SOLVED] Awful sequential speeds with new Samsung 860 Evo

Solution
No it's not, but from what I can tell all the sata ports on my motherboard (Maximus VIII Hero) are 6Gbps ones. Magician also reports i'm using a 6Gbps port.

It's it currently my boot drive but I ran a benchmark in safe mode and the results are the same. I tried the Magician and the results are slightly worse >_<

In the grey Intel port, or the black ASMedia port?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Have you checked with Samsung Magician? Is the latest firmware for the drive installed?

Also that figure between storahci and the drive capacity is the alignment. It shouldn't be like that. You need to realign the sectors for it to work properly and faster.

You can use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free from here to realign the sectors. It might be safe but I strongly advise you backup any data you have on the drive before attempting to do that. Things can go wrong in the process and when dealing with storage that already contains data it's always best to have backups.

If the alignment is fixed the drive should perform better.

mancsoulja

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Have you checked with Samsung Magician? Is the latest firmware for the drive installed?

Also that figure between storahci and the drive capacity is the alignment. It shouldn't be like that. You need to realign the sectors for it to work properly and faster.

You can use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free from here to realign the sectors. It might be safe but I strongly advise you backup any data you have on the drive before attempting to do that. Things can go wrong in the process and when dealing with storage that already contains data it's always best to have backups.

If the alignment is fixed the drive should perform better.

Yep, using the latest firmware. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try now.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You can double check the alignment before doing that too.

Just type msinfo32 into run box and System Information opens go to components > Storage > Disks and in the panel find the SSD and check “Partition Starting Offset” value. Whatever the number is evenly divisible by 4096 or not.

If there's no decimal remainder, the number is evenly divisible. That means the sectors are correctly aligned on the drive.

USAFRet

Titan
My 860 EVOs, 500GB and 1TB:
M75OeNz.png

And for comparison, a 5 year old 840 EVO 250GB:
a3JhtU4.png

mancsoulja

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
You can double check the alignment before doing that too.

Just type msinfo32 into run box and System Information opens go to components > Storage > Disks and in the panel find the SSD and check “Partition Starting Offset” value. Whatever the number is evenly divisible by 4096 or not.

If there's no decimal remainder, the number is evenly divisible. That means the sectors are correctly aligned on the drive.

I tried that tool but it just tells me the drive doesn't need aligning. When I check MS Info I get:

555,745,280 divided by 4096 = 135680

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Have you checked with Magician benchmark too? It just does sequential and read/write IOPS.

I checked my 840 Pro with Magician and AS SSD three times. Magician results are more consistent and AS SSD results are all over the place.

Mind you, this is a system drive.

mancsoulja

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
OK so the sectors are aligned. Is this the system drive, where Windows is installed to?

Is it on the first SATA port?

No it's not, but from what I can tell all the sata ports on my motherboard (Maximus VIII Hero) are 6Gbps ones. Magician also reports i'm using a 6Gbps port.

It's it currently my boot drive but I ran a benchmark in safe mode and the results are the same. I tried the Magician and the results are slightly worse >_<

USAFRet

Titan

In the grey Intel port, or the black ASMedia port?

Solution