[SOLVED] AX Adapter on a AC Router.

Apr 21, 2020
Always struggling for more speed on my computer thats wireless. Currently have a AC3100 adapter and a AC1900 Router. Would a AX3000 Adapter help me get more speed while still using an AC Router? Or would I need to upgrade my router as well?

Solution
Your current interface already illustrates the problem when you do not match the router and the nic card.

Your current card supports 4x4 mimo and the router only 3x3 so it will at most be 3x3.
Your current card is attempting to use qam1024. This is non standard implementation. It is used by wifi6 BUT they did not implement it the same was so even if you had a wifi6 router it would not use the feature.

So you already have 2 feature on your nic card that would in theory make it run faster but you can not use them. As mentioned above you would have to replace both your router and your nic card to use wifi6.

If you are getting in the 300mbps range that is pretty much all you can expect. Wifi6 is a bit faster but likely not worth...
Apr 21, 2020
Both WiFi adapter & router must support WiFi 6 to get WiFi 6 benefits, otherwise both default to older WiFi standard.

Any chance you can use ethernet on your PC with a couple of powerline adapters if router is in a different room?

I tried Powerline just recently and circuits is too far away. I am about 50ft away from router, but it goes through a lot. Recently bought gigablast internet and just trying to get what i paid for. Getting around 350mbps right now. I will buy the AX set up and see how that goes.

Your current interface already illustrates the problem when you do not match the router and the nic card.

Your current card supports 4x4 mimo and the router only 3x3 so it will at most be 3x3.
Your current card is attempting to use qam1024. This is non standard implementation. It is used by wifi6 BUT they did not implement it the same was so even if you had a wifi6 router it would not use the feature.

So you already have 2 feature on your nic card that would in theory make it run faster but you can not use them. As mentioned above you would have to replace both your router and your nic card to use wifi6.

If you are getting in the 300mbps range that is pretty much all you can expect. Wifi6 is a bit faster but likely not worth the cost to upgrade with wifi6e soon on the market.

Solution
Apr 21, 2020

If you are getting in the 300mbps range that is pretty much all you can expect. Wifi6 is a bit faster but likely not worth the cost to upgrade with wifi6e soon on the market.

Whats the release date on Wifi6e products?

I really wish I knew. I suspect partially the router vendor want to sell their current lines since many are barely 1 yr old. From rumor I have read on one of the forums for wifi chipset the chipset makers are providing sample chips to the router makers at the current time. This is all under NDA it seems so there are no details.

It should be a massive increase. The current version of wifi6 is attempting to use all the available bandwidth on the 5g band. This pretty much guarentees that you and your neighbors stomp on each other.

The key feature in wifi6e is the 6g radio band. There is enough bandwidth that multiple people can use 160mhz blocks and not overlap.

You would probably be hurting yourself by moving from the AC3100 adapter (presumably 4 spatial streams at 80 MHz) to the AX3000 adapter (presumably 2 spatial streams at 160 MHz).

Since your router is 3 spatial streams at 80 MHz, the result with the AX3000 adapter would be 2 spatial streams at 80 MHz.

Your best bet would be to keep the AC3100 adapter and get an AC3100 router and run 4x 80MHz streams.

TRENDING THREADS