Question AX1200i Fan Replacement

Dec 14, 2022
Hi all,

first time poster here. My AX1200i fan has recently started getting quite grindy, the rest of my system is very quiet and I can't bare the clicking of the FAN spinning up.
Unfortunately when I contacted Corsair I was asked to provide a proof of purchase, which I after so many year do not have anymore. This made me open up my PSU to connect a new Arctic P14 fan.

The current fan inside is a Yate Loon one with has 2 headers coming from it, one 4 pin for power and a 2 pin connected to a temp. sensor I believe. ( Original Fan Connectors Pic / Replacement Fan Connector )
My question now was, can I leave out the 2 pin temp connector and just solder the new fan to the old connector?

Would the simpler solution be to use a dremel to modify the PSU chassis and connect the new fan to the motherboard and adjust the fan speed manually?

Would really appreciate any advice as I can't stand the grinding noise! Buying a new PSU would be my last resort as the AX1200i has been a blessing for many years and is working without issue except for the fan noise.

Dec 14, 2022
How skilled are you with power supplies? Because you can easily get a fatal shock from one if the caps aren't properly discharged.

Did two years of electronics In high school, know enough to stay the hell away from the capacitors and anything connected to them (bled as far as you can without professional equipment, jump started the PSU with a clip and all). The fan headers themself are distant enough from the capacitors for me to not be worried all that much. I appreciate your concern.

Last edited: