Question AX210 won't connect to 5GHz on Windows 11

ARCADDER

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2012
Hi, so I purchased the GC-WBAX210 from ASUS. I can connect to any of my 2.4 GHz networks without a single issue but each and every time I want to connect to any of my 5 GHz networks, either of these things happen:
  • It connects to the network, it says that it has internet access. One second later, the web browser shows a "Network settings changed" and when I reload, it says I'm not connected to the internet. Then the wireless icon reflects that.
  • It simply shows "Unable to connect to this network" until I reboot again.
As a last hurrah, I went into Windows+X > Device Manager > Network Adapters > WBAX210 Properties > Uninstall Device, AND I checked the box that said "Attempt to remove the driver for this device".

That did the trick. After rebooting, I was able to instantly connect to my 5 GHz network and enjoy it flawlessly for 2 days. Turning off the PC didn't bring back the issue. Yesterday I suddenly lost power and after rebooting, the problems came again, which made me believe it was a software problem within the OS.

To discard hardware issues, I used my Ubuntu Live USB, and without a hitch, I was able to connect to my 5 GHz. Did multiple reboots, sudden power cuts, and everything worked as it should with the all mighty 5GHz Wi-Fi... then back to Windows 11, and the issue is present. Repeating the steps I mentioned above won't work anymore to have a successful connection to my 5GHz network within Windows 11.

My Windows 11 is a fresh installation from 4 days ago. Everything regarding BIOS, drivers, and software is up-to-date.

Any leads would be super helpful.
Thanks to anyone reading.

I always recommend the ubuntu boot trick to troubleshoot but unfortunately most times it just tells us what we suspected. Something inside the massive pile of crap called windows is messed up. They have made it so complex mostly adding features nobody really wants anyway.

Most cards with names like that use intel chipset. I would try the drivers directly from the intel site. If that works you then must find where windows now hides the option to prevent driver updates when they push their mandatory updates.

That devices is wifi6e and the drivers are still kinda new. At first I though maybe it was trying to use 6g. There is only 1 radio chip in that cards and it just changes the frequency it runs on.

ARCADDER

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2012
I always recommend the ubuntu boot trick to troubleshoot but unfortunately most times it just tells us what we suspected. Something inside the massive pile of crap called windows is messed up. They have made it so complex mostly adding features nobody really wants anyway.

Most cards with names like that use intel chipset. I would try the drivers directly from the intel site. If that works you then must find where windows now hides the option to prevent driver updates when they push their mandatory updates.

That devices is wifi6e and the drivers are still kinda new. At first I though maybe it was trying to use 6g. There is only 1 radio chip in that cards and it just changes the frequency it runs on.

Ah, I forgot to mention that. Before purchasing, I read about the product online and someone suggested a new purchaser to not install the AORUS drivers, but the Intel ones, which was what I did. Since the network card didn't want to connect to the 5Ghz, I thought I had to uninstall Intel's drivers and install the manufacturer's ones, which provided the same results.

I have to agree, Windows really has a mess going on... When it manages to connect the 5GHz (but says it doesn't have internet access), looking at the Wi-Fi properties panel, it detects it as a 2.4 GHz network, which obviously it isn't. It's like Windows is drunk, man. :vomi: