News Aya Neo Crowdfunding Campaign Starts: $789 for an x86 Handheld Game Console

AlexTSG

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
www.instagram.com
Just a few notes regarding this news piece.

The Aya Neo is certainly not "the industry's first crowdfunded handheld Windows 10-based game console".

The original GPD Win was launched back in 2016 as a handheld gaming device, and that ran Windows 10.

GPD has also just completed an Indiegogo campaign for the GPD Win 3, a similar device running Windows 10, which uses an Intel 1165G7/1135G7 processor.

The article also seems to suggest that Aya has chosen to use an old graphics architecture in this device, when it uses the AMD Ryzen 5 4500U integrated graphics, and not a discrete graphics card. So, the choice of graphics architecture is AMDs, and not Aya's.

I've backed the Aya Neo 500GB model, and some friends of mine have backed GPD's Win 3, so it will be interesting to compare them once they are delivered.

BaRoMeTrIc

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
Can't believe i'm saying this, but this would be a lot more interesting if they delayed for a little while and went with Tiger Lake and Iris Xe graphics.

AlexTSG

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
www.instagram.com
Can't believe i'm saying this, but this would be a lot more interesting if they delayed for a little while and went with Tiger Lake and Iris Xe graphics.

That's exactly what the GPD Win 3 is using in a similar form factor (1165G7). The GPD definitely has faster graphics, however at 28W, which is needed to get the best performance from the Tiger Lake chip, the battery life isn't great (around an hour). At a more reasonable 15W TDP, the Ryzen and Tiger Lake chips perform similarly.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Xe graphics is great, but only when you give it more power. So if you were to limit it to 15W, I don't think it wil perform significantly faster than the iGPU on a Renoir chip. In addtion, while I have not tested Tiger Lake myself, I feel the graphic driver/ game optimization may be a sore point for the Xe graphic.

Feb 24, 2021
forget about it , it is too expensive for a handheld gaming PC ... The only way for a true handheld "PC Gaming" to succeed is cloud gaming.