News Ayaneo launches motherboard upgrades for the majority of its older handhelds — refreshed new models are coming too

Status
Not open for further replies.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Love to see the modularity and approach that framework role modeled. bit spendy but good to see options. It is odd that a company such as Ayaneo seems to be leading the way compared to the established players (Asus...)
"Estabilished players" follow the old book of money, for them inovation is a means to make more money and that's it. For smaller companies, inovation is a way to stand out against these big players, who have big enough pockets to sell ordinary stuff for cheap. That said, I wish all mobile and notebook vendors did this kind of thing.

Reactions: thisisaname

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
Counterpoint….its not environmentally friendlier because now you have a cpu and motherboard taken out that can’t be used elsewhere. Whereas if you had upgraded, you could have sold the previous unit in working condition to someone else with less disposal income that would have been happy to use it with its performance level.

Cheaper, yes. Environmentally friendlier? Unclear.

Reactions: thestryker
I'm sure it would be possible to DIY your own solution to use the replaced board, but without any built solutions available it seems like the primary advantage is only cost. It honestly strikes me as a way for them to compete on price with the likes of Asus more than anything else given the sales pricing on the Ally etc.

Reactions: cyrusfox

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
I'm sure it would be possible to DIY your own solution to use the replaced board, but without any built solutions available it seems like the primary advantage is only cost. It honestly strikes me as a way for them to compete on price with the likes of Asus more than anything else given the sales pricing on the Ally etc.

Good opportunity for them to sell a small micro-pc case you could plug them into.

Reactions: cyrusfox

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Counterpoint….its not environmentally friendlier because now you have a cpu and motherboard taken out that can’t be used elsewhere. Whereas if you had upgraded, you could have sold the previous unit in working condition to someone else with less disposal income that would have been happy to use it with its performance level.

Cheaper, yes. Environmentally friendlier? Unclear.
Have you not seen the mini-pc case made for the framework? The same should be possible with this motherboard/complete system. From the ones I checked they feature USB4 ports, if not at least USB C 10GBPS with PD, might need to add custom cool solution but should be able to make a kit to continue using what are very capable platforms (NAS/Plex, OPNsense, Terminal PC, etc...). Upgrade may make sense, as well as there is likely a used market for these prior mobos.

Reactions: HyperMatrix

cyrusfox

Distinguished
But this discounted partial upgrade costs as much as an Ally.
The Ally that receives this kind of stellar support
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pMrssIrKcY
The fact that Ayaneo is supporting their platforms for more than one generation is a good sign, I never thought unknown brands would surpass the established players but look at where we are today. Framework enabling reusable laptops, and perhaps ayaneo now. Provide long term support and enable consumers to upgrade the guts/innards/SOC while maintaining prior housing/batteries/controls.

Ally device if it works will cost an additional ally to fix at the first issue thanks to a scuff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.