[SOLVED] ayy finally upgrading cant decide ! need help :3

Jul 10, 2020
hello again peops !

so im finally upgrading my pc a little more

i havnt upgraded my graphics card ever since i got it gifted 2014 which is the 970

i currently have a ryzen 5 2600 (got it last year december) x470 gaming pro carbon MB with 16gb ram (also last year december)
my current games range from assasins creed odyssey where i get like 30 to 40 fps (soon valhalla which i want to have good performance on ) to witcher 3 and so on meaning i enjoy triple A games
my question now is what would be the better upgrade for me ? i could get the 2060 which was also recommended to me

or should i upgrade my cpu and would achieve much more through that ? like lets say going to the ryzen 7 3700x

thanks in adcance for reading! hope i can get some advice <3

Solution
the ram that i bought were 3200Mhz if i remember i looked up what would be best for my MB and the ryzen 5 2600 and got them of amazon i think but omg yes thank you so much i will definitely do that !
Even without XMP, it should run at 2k+ mhz. Try all XMP profiles (if there are multiple profiles).
My RAM runs at 2133mhz without XMP. It's arvertised as 2400mhz but my Mobo won't support it.

Btw, what's it say about RAM speed in CPU-Z?

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
hello again peops !

i havnt upgraded my graphics card ever since i got it gifted 2014 which is the 970

i currently have a ryzen 5 2600 (got it last year december) x470 gaming pro carbon MB with 16gb ram (also last year december)
my current games range from assasins creed odyssey where i get like 30 to 40 fps (soon valhalla which i want to have good performance on ) to witcher 3 and so on meaning i enjoy triple A games
my question now is what would be the better upgrade for me ? i could get the 2060 which was also recommended to me

or should i upgrade my cpu and would achieve much more through that ? like lets say going to the ryzen 7 3700x

Monitor details? Refresh rate? resolution?

Jul 10, 2020
i wasnt sure if there is something huge i can do with that money to my system that would get me 60 fps at like lets say assasins creed odyssey with decent lookin graphics haha : D i dont plan going overboard ever over 60 fps or resolution

Jul 10, 2020
It will last you for at least a couple of years more. Don't worry. It's just that I like the Ryzen 5 3600. You can dump the idea of a CPU upgrade for now. That CPU is quite capable. Getting a better GPU should be the first priority
thats a super straight forward answer ! thanks ! i like that haha the 2060 is absolutely in my budget aswell! i could never ever use my graphics card for games that are good with my cpu

hello again peops !

Nope, no need to upgrade ur cpu, it will be fine... My advice to you would be that as u have waited so long , wait for another 2 months or so, as the nvidia 3000 series cards are coming and new amd cards are coming too...
Now if u r not gonna wait, then 2060 or 2060 super is a good choice... If u require ray tracing, then go for 2000 series card... or else u can also check amd rx 5700 xt...

Reactions: Ziadul87
Jul 10, 2020
Nope, no need to upgrade ur cpu, it will be fine... My advice to you would be that as u have waited so long , wait for another 2 months or so, as the nvidia 3000 series cards are coming and new amd cards are coming too...
Now if u r not gonna wait, then 2060 or 2060 super is a good choice... If u require ray tracing, then go for 2000 series card... or else u can also check amd rx 5700 xt...
thanks for your advice ! and the answer!
ima check that card out and yea i was gonna go for the 2060 or the super one
if when the new cards hit the prices of other ones would drop then i would gladly wait

thanks for your advice ! and the answer!
ima check that card out and yea i was gonna go for the 2060 or the super one
if when the new cards hit the prices of other ones would drop then i would gladly wait
It should, but amd generally reduces their prices first for their previous gen products, then nvidia follow suit... But i cannot confirm whether the prices would drop or not at the launch of new gen graphic cards, but they should soon after...

Jul 10, 2020
One more quick question! Lets say i have the 2060!
what should or could my next move to upgrade some stuff be ?
i should probably also upgrade my case sometime um it might be like 10 years old and worth 10 or 20 or some :D its ... small .. XD and does not provide good airflow ... like .. none haha

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
One more quick question! Lets say i have the 2060!
what should or could my next move to upgrade some stuff be ?
i should probably also upgrade my case sometime um it might be like 10 years old and worth 10 or 20 or some :D its ... small .. XD and does not provide good airflow ... like .. none haha
A good casing/cooling solution would be a good upgrade. So would be an SSD. Assassin's Creed Odyssey takes a hell lotta time in loading screen -_- . I wouldn't worry about that now though. I'd get the GPU, play games to my heart's content for a few weeks and then worry about what to upgrade. Don't sweat it now.

Jul 10, 2020
A good casing/cooling solution would be a good upgrade. So would be an SSD. Assassin's Creed Odyssey takes a hell lotta time in loading screen -_- . I wouldn't worry about that now though. I'd get the GPU, play games to my heart's content for a few weeks and then worry about what to upgrade. Don't sweat it now.
true that ! thanks ! im not considering or worrying about it for now as for now i only wanna focus on that gpu !

i just thought it would be good to ask while i still remember haha i have no idea about cases in general :3 so i gotta remember to check here for answers !

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
And if your PSU is old(as is your casing), you might want to get new one. Wouldn't want it to fail after getting new GPU.
true that ! thanks ! im not considering or worrying about it for now as for now i only wanna focus on that gpu !

i just thought it would be good to ask while i still remember haha i have no idea about cases in general :3 so i gotta remember to check here for answers !

D

Deleted member 2720853

What's the make and model of the PSU?

I've been there with crappy airflow cases, coming from a prebuilt. The GPU was struggling in it. Getting something like a RX 5700 XT, which is a power hog, would heat up the case more.

My advice would be to wait. When the new GPUs release, there is going to be a lot of GPUs on the market from people upgrading, and the prices will fall.

Try investing in a new case (WITH A MESH FRONT, I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH) and an SSD whenever possible. The SSD will boost your system greatly.

Just out of curiosity, how many sticks of RAM do you have, how are they placed on the motherboard and what's your RAM speed? You can check RAM speed in task manager.

Reactions: Ziadul87

TRENDING THREADS