[SOLVED] ayy finally upgrading cant decide ! need help :3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 10, 2020
hello again peops !

so im finally upgrading my pc a little more

i havnt upgraded my graphics card ever since i got it gifted 2014 which is the 970

i currently have a ryzen 5 2600 (got it last year december) x470 gaming pro carbon MB with 16gb ram (also last year december)
my current games range from assasins creed odyssey where i get like 30 to 40 fps (soon valhalla which i want to have good performance on ) to witcher 3 and so on meaning i enjoy triple A games
my question now is what would be the better upgrade for me ? i could get the 2060 which was also recommended to me

or should i upgrade my cpu and would achieve much more through that ? like lets say going to the ryzen 7 3700x

thanks in adcance for reading! hope i can get some advice <3

Solution
the ram that i bought were 3200Mhz if i remember i looked up what would be best for my MB and the ryzen 5 2600 and got them of amazon i think but omg yes thank you so much i will definitely do that !
Even without XMP, it should run at 2k+ mhz. Try all XMP profiles (if there are multiple profiles).
My RAM runs at 2133mhz without XMP. It's arvertised as 2400mhz but my Mobo won't support it.

Btw, what's it say about RAM speed in CPU-Z?
Jul 10, 2020
What's the make and model of the PSU?

I've been there with crappy airflow cases, coming from a prebuilt. The GPU was struggling in it. Getting something like a RX 5700 XT, which is a power hog, would heat up the case more.

My advice would be to wait. When the new GPUs release, there is going to be a lot of GPUs on the market from people upgrading, and the prices will fall.

Try investing in a new case (WITH A MESH FRONT, I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH) and an SSD whenever possible. The SSD will boost your system greatly.

Just out of curiosity, how many sticks of RAM do you have, how are they placed on the motherboard and what's your RAM speed? You can check RAM speed in task manager.
i definitely understand what youre saying ! i looked up how much power the new GPU would put out with everything i have and im still way under the maximum as i dont have much connected to my pc haha

but yesssss a new case would proof insanely useful ... i promise if you saw my case you would puke haha its terrible , simply ugly and small as hell

i have 2 ram sticks each 8 gb. id have to check sometime where exactly i put em in but im sure its 2nd position on the left and last position i think this was also recommended. task manager tells me the speed of my memory is 1067

D

Deleted member 2720853

but yesssss a new case would proof insanely useful ... i promise if you saw my case you would puke haha its terrible , simply ugly and small as hell
Don't worry, my old prebuilt wasn't any better. New mesh front case improved thermals by at least 15C.
task manager tells me the speed of my memory is 1067
That is incredibly slow for a 2nd gen Ryzen like you have. Did you enable XMP or D.O.C.P. in BIOS?

D

Deleted member 2720853

i never went into the bios once i think since i upgraded :3
You have to enable XMP (Xtreme Memory Profile) or D.O.C.P. (Direct Over Clocking Profile, if you have an ASUS board) for your RAM in the BIOS in order to make your RAM run at its advertised speed, which in your case would be 2133.

2133 is still extremely slow for a Ryzen (Ryzens should be paired with at least 3200 MHz RAM for optimum performance), but will yield you better results than your current configuration.

Jul 10, 2020
You have to enable XMP (Xtreme Memory Profile) or D.O.C.P. (Direct Over Clocking Profile, if you have an ASUS board) for your RAM in the BIOS in order to make your RAM run at its advertised speed, which in your case would be 2133.

2133 is still extremely slow for a Ryzen (Ryzens should be paired with at least 3200 MHz RAM for optimum performance), but will yield you better results than your current configuration.
the ram that i bought were 3200Mhz if i remember i looked up what would be best for my MB and the ryzen 5 2600 and got them of amazon i think but omg yes thank you so much i will definitely do that !

D

Deleted member 2720853

It's weird that it's running at 1066 then. Usually, if you don't enable XMP the RAM runs at half its advertised speed (for example, if advertised speed = 2133 then RAM speed without XMP = 1066).

Maybe some JEDEC profile...

Anyway, do that and report back with results. Task Manager should say 3200 MHz after you enable it. It will make your Ryzen way more efficient. Ryzens depend on fast memory.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED

Task manager showing so low is unusual. If it was any other app, I'd say it should be doubled to get the original speed.

Last edited:

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Even without XMP, it should run at 2k+ mhz. Try all XMP profiles (if there are multiple profiles).
My RAM runs at 2133mhz without XMP. It's arvertised as 2400mhz but my Mobo won't support it.

Btw, what's it say about RAM speed in CPU-Z?

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

Actually, one must double what task manager shows to get the actual speed.
For example, a RAM running at 3200mhz would show 1600 in task manager.
Meaning his RAM speed = 2*1067 = 2133mhz
I was referring to Task Manager before enabling XMP. It showed 1066, therefore I thought that 1066*2 = person had 2133 MHz RAM.

But they said the RAM kit is 3200 MHz. It wouldn't show 1066. It would show 1600, as you said, unless there was some weird JEDEC profiles on the RAM, which I assumed so.

Either way enabling XMP/D.O.C.P. should bring the RAM speed to either 2133 MHz, or 3200 MHz if the person is correct.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
I was referring to Task Manager before enabling XMP. It showed 1066, therefore I thought that 1066*2 = person had 2133 MHz RAM.

But they said the RAM kit is 3200 MHz. It wouldn't show 1066. It would show 1600, as you said, unless there was some weird JEDEC profiles on the RAM, which I assumed so.

Either way enabling XMP/D.O.C.P. should bring the RAM speed to either 2133 MHz, or 3200 MHz if the person is correct.
Looks like task manager is completely accurate in my case. Showing all 2166mhz. Not cutting it in half. Let's see if XMP does the trick in his case.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED

I edited the post a bit :sweatsmile:

Jul 10, 2020
ok so i went into the bios just now
first of all i wanna mention it takes aaaaages for my pc to restart and to get comfy afterwards no idea why wasnt like that back then o.o
but yeah the bios said my ddr speed was 2133MHz
i tried enabling xmp and nothing changed, task manager still says speed is 1067MHz
i gotta say in general i feel like my pc slowed down insanely hard compared to when i upgraded and fresh installed windows 10 on it

lets say i wake up and turn my pc on , it doesnt take long it feels good
i wait a minute till my desktop n <Mod Edit> gets comfy and open up chrome , it feels decent

but a restart well thats like pc has no idea whats happening haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 10, 2020
first of all i wanna mention it takes aaaaages for my pc to restart and to get comfy afterwards no idea why wasnt like that back then o.o
i tried enabling xmp and nothing changed, task manager still says speed is 1067MHz
i gotta say in general i feel like my pc slowed down insanely hard compared to when i upgraded and fresh installed windows 10 on it

i wait a minute till my desktop n <Mod Edit> gets comfy and open up chrome , it feels decent

i think the ram that i have are the Corsair vengeance ddr4 3200MHz ones you can get on amazon
funny thing is when i went into amazon and clicked on the 3200Mhz ones the name on the top changed into 4000MHz i dont think it means anything tho

D

Deleted member 2720853

I have the same, and Task Manager says it's 3200 MHz after enabling XMP:

Taskmgr_8ygKgdoBc7.png

No idea why yours is stuck at 1066 MHz. Can you try downloading CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs? Post screenshots too.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
It's usual for restarts to take longer (that's why we restart our PC once in a while anyway).
And i used to have a boot time of ~15 seconds when i built the PC. But soon it turned into a daunting 1min. It's usual for boot times to increase with usage. Only thing you can try is disable startups and enable fast boot on win10.

D

Deleted member 2720853

It looks the same as me, except for the last XMP profile which is actually 1600 Mhz (1600 x 2 = 3200)

At this point I would try to set the frequency and timings manually

Jul 10, 2020
Get anything that fits your budget. Not much of a difference. But remember,
A less overclocked 2070 > overclocked 2060 super.
So, don't spend much on expensive and overclocked 2060 super variants. If you're gonna go "expensive", it's better to just get a 2070.
pretty much the 400 range is what i seek if it comes down to the super!
2070 is too much for me haha i just dont know which version is decent or good to get