B verses C

G

I know that c is the 266 bus chip, and b is the 200 bus chip. What I dont know is what the difference is other than what I just stated. If one unlocks the L1's on their b chip is it essentially no different then a C chip? Also are the new 1.3 b chips coming unlocked?

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
There is no guarentee that a B chip will overclock to 133MHz. Plus it is said that you can get a C's FSB higher and more stable.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

G

The majority of Athlon B's can go past 133mhz. I'm on a 1.2 Athlon B @ 1266 & 133bus. I just don't have decent RAM and I go out of spec past that. Also, my chip came unlocked, so, no reason to think that the newer ones wouldn't be, I don't really know.
But yeah, Athlon C's are capable of higher speeds and better stablility at higher speeds.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Athlon C 1.33 @ 11x142FSB - 1563Mhz. Rock solid.
Way outta spec for a B chip, but still possible with the right cooling and components I guess.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Bombastik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
It may strike as odd but a given speed is allways a given speed for the processor independently of the FSB.

The only diference betweem the Intel and the AMD is that the AMD processor CAN be multiplier unlocked.

So if the CPU is at 1.1Ghz using a 133Mhz FSB or a 100Mhz FSB or 150Mhz FSB it's the SAME for the processor... it's the system (everything else appart from the CPU) that may not handle it (may not, 'cause in my case i have type-B Thunderbird 1.1Ghz with 256Mb PC133 DIMM everything at 150Mhz FSb... as you can see with my case it's possible).

The main diference that comes down to the AMD Thunderbird types (B and C) is not related to the FSB at all.... it's about heat tolerance... and lots of it...

C-Types handle temperature better than B-Types, because B-Types Thundys die (are not made over) 1.2Ghz, C-Types go from 1Ghz to 1.7Ghz (planned), there for they are models made for higher speeds..... but in between the 1Ghz models and 1.2Ghz modles, going B or C doesn't make a diference since both can run virtually at any FSB (even 1200Mhz*1... although nothing else in the system can handle it).

So basicly if you wan't to do some overclocking from 1.3Ghz to whatever you should go for C-Types, else B-Types are cheaper and also run at 133Mhz FSB.

The 1.3Ghz barrier seems to be the mystical mark for the B-Types.... i have a 1.1Ghz B-Type and does 1.3Ghz very stably... but it doesn't boot at 1.4Ghz.

Don't believe blindly in what you hear! - Play safe! Play hard!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
According to recent sources, the AVIA and AXIA cores will overclock to a certain speed regaurdless of bus speed, meaning an AXIA B 1000 will go to 1333 at 133, no need to change the multipliers.

Suicide is painless...........

TRENDING THREADS