B&W Video is too bright

TC

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
201
0
18,680
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I have captured a B&W video that plays fine in its VCR format but is
too white in some parts of the DVD playback. For example, sometimes
the person's face becomes so white, you cannot make out their eyes or
mouth.

I'm using Video Studio 7. Any thoughts?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"TC" <metrotex30@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<GuRkc.92406$I83.2485806@twister.tampabay.rr.com>...
> I have captured a B&W video that plays fine in its VCR format but is
> too white in some parts of the DVD playback. For example, sometimes
> the person's face becomes so white, you cannot make out their eyes or
> mouth.
>
> I'm using Video Studio 7. Any thoughts?

I get the same problem when I render a scene in Vegas 4.0, The
originals exposure looks ok but when it goes to DVD it is over exposed
in places. I think it may have something to do with legal/illeagal DVD
colour standards. You could try applying colour correction as it has
to even be the correct B&W shades to comply with legal DVD standards.
 

TC

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
201
0
18,680
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

FTR wrote:

> "TC" <metrotex30@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:<GuRkc.92406$I83.2485806@twister.tampabay.rr.com>...
> > I have captured a B&W video that plays fine in its VCR format but is
> > too white in some parts of the DVD playback. For example, sometimes
> > the person's face becomes so white, you cannot make out their eyes
> > or mouth.
> >
> > I'm using Video Studio 7. Any thoughts?
>
> I get the same problem when I render a scene in Vegas 4.0, The
> originals exposure looks ok but when it goes to DVD it is over exposed
> in places. I think it may have something to do with legal/illeagal DVD
> colour standards. You could try applying colour correction as it has
> to even be the correct B&W shades to comply with legal DVD standards.

I don't seem to have any color correction with VideoStudio.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:37:11 GMT, "TC" <metrotex30@yahoo.com> wrote:

>FTR wrote:
>
>> "TC" <metrotex30@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:<GuRkc.92406$I83.2485806@twister.tampabay.rr.com>...
>> > I have captured a B&W video that plays fine in its VCR format but is
>> > too white in some parts of the DVD playback. For example, sometimes
>> > the person's face becomes so white, you cannot make out their eyes
>> > or mouth.
>> >
>> > I'm using Video Studio 7. Any thoughts?
>>
>> I get the same problem when I render a scene in Vegas 4.0, The
>> originals exposure looks ok but when it goes to DVD it is over exposed
>> in places. I think it may have something to do with legal/illeagal DVD
>> colour standards. You could try applying colour correction as it has
>> to even be the correct B&W shades to comply with legal DVD standards.
>
>I don't seem to have any color correction with VideoStudio.

Digital video black and white levels are specified as 16 and 235
respectively. Some capture cards capture black level as 0 and white
level as 255 - when you burn this to DVD, some players will clip black
and white at the legal digital levels, thus clipping out the detail.

Steve


The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
http://www.restoration-team.co.uk