Question B2 Load VGA BIOS post error

Mar 26, 2020
So I have a very irrating problem with a build that I am currently working on.
When everything's assembled and connected in the case I cannot get system to post due to B2 Load VGA BIOS error.
When I take it out of the case and bench test the system it posts and boots perfectly with no errors.
I have done this 3 times now but the problem still persists.
Equipment list as follows:
Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme MB
Asus ROG Radeon RX850 OC GPU
Intel i7 7800X CPU
Intel 660P M.2 SSD
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32gb RAM
Thermaltake IRGB 1250W PSU
Thermaltake Riing Plus fans x 4
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 CPU cooler
Thermaltake TT Premium 300mm GPU riser cable
Thermaltake View 37 case
I have tested the GPU and the PSU independently and both work perfectly.
All cables are connected correctly and the riser cable has also been confirmed to be working perfectly.
CPU is also perfect and socket has no bent pins.
As the system works without issue outside the case I know it is not a hardware issue.
All drivers are up to date and the bios for the GPU has been reflashed and operates perfectly outside the case.
The only items I have not connected outside the case are the fans and the AIO cpu cooler as these should have no bearing on the B2 Load VGA BIOS error.
I am an experienced builder and have not encountered the issue before on other X299 builds but it is becoming tiresome having to remove the MB/GPU/RAM/CPU and PSU plus cables every time only for th issue to remain.
If anyone can assist me with a resolution it would be very much appreciated.

The main difference I see with a case....is you have a common ground (the case).....that ties earth ground to the motherboard ground.

When you are outside the case....I think the motherboard floats.

I can see it possible....there could be a problem with the motherboard...where when it's grounded properly....it doesn't work....and when it's not grounded properly it does.

Is it possible to install the PSU in the case....and set the motherboard on the standoffs....but isolated from the standoffs....like put a piece of cardboard between the standoffs and the MB. Then...power up and try it and if it works....power down and connect one standoff at a time until it doesn't boot...and if this is the case....I would RMA the MB.

Reactions: 1GAZINDO
Mar 26, 2020
The main difference I see with a case....is you have a common ground (the case).....that ties earth ground to the motherboard ground.

I can see it possible....there could be a problem with the motherboard...where when it's grounded properly....it doesn't work....and when it's not grounded properly it does.

Is it possible to install the PSU in the case....and set the motherboard on the standoffs....but isolated from the standoffs....like put a piece of cardboard between the standoffs and the MB. Then...power up and try it and if it works....power down and connect one standoff at a time until it doesn't boot...and if this is the case....I would RMA the MB.
[/

Hi Jay
Thanks for your suggestion.
I will give it a go as I was starting to think along these lines myself, as in the case itself maybe causing the issue.
Must admit I have never encountered a problem like this with a case before but I guess there is a first time for everything.
Will report back soon.
Cheers

Mar 26, 2020
So I have just replaced all brass standoffs with nylon equivalents and attempted to boot but still get the B2 Load VGA BIOS error and cannot get system to post.
I am running out of ideas fast on how to remedy this bizarre issue

Mar 26, 2020
This morning I removed the motherboard again !! And insulated the entire case with self adhesive foam sheeting where the motherboard is located. Then I put nylon washers on every screw including the GPU vertical mount and the GPU itself and guess what ?? Yep...you got it, the B2 Load VGA BIOS error is still there and the system will not post inside the case. This has now become a major problem. I have even disconnected everything and then connected just the items that were connected outside of the case, when the system posts successfully but now it is inside the case it just hangs on the B2 error with a solid white VGA light displayed on the motherboard. Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Mar 26, 2020
Update: Tonight i took the system (Motherboard, CPU, GPU, PSU & RAM, Riser cable and Arctic Cooler) out of the case to bench test and as normal it posted when i directly connected the GPU to the motherboard. Then i fitted the 300mm riser cable for the GPU and booted the system again. This time again it posted without issue. So then i reinstalled everything that i had taken out (as above) to test back into the case and attempted a boot with the GPU on the riser cable. The system hung on an A2 Post Error but then cleared itself and posted with success. So then i removed the Arctic cooler and connected the Thermaltake AIO Floe Riing 360 CPU cooler with the GPU still attached to the riser cable and attempted a boot. This time it kicked up the good old B2 Load VGA BIOS Error again. So i took everything out on to the bench again, reconnected the Arctic cooler and kept the GPU on the riser cable to attempt another boot. Again it hung on the B2 Error. So i took the riser cable off and connected the GPU directly to the motherboard and the system posted without error.
This is a very curious and infuriating issue as my first thoughts were it must be the riser cable but the system posts fine after i remove the GPU from the motherboard and connect the riser, admittedly i need to directly connect the GPU to the motherboard first to get a successful post before fitting the riser to again get a successful post. Then i'm thinking maybe the AIO Floe Riing CPU cooler maybe part of the issue as when this is connected when the system is back in the case the system hangs on the B2 Error, but how can a CPU cooler cause a B2 Load VGA BIOS Error ?
Unfortunately i cannot fit the GPU directly to the motherboard when in the case as it will foul the AIO Floe Riing Radiator and there is not enough space the fit the GPU directly the motherboard therefore i must mount the GPU vertically on a riser cable.
Another possibility is the motherboard just doesn't like being mounted in the case but i have eliminated any possible shorts already so i am at a loss as to why this could be an issue.
As you can see this is a seriously confusing issue which just gets more confusing with each attempt to try and narrow down the issue.
I feel that i have exhausted all possible tests but am no where nearer resolving the problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so please can you advise on how to resolve this ?