[SOLVED] B250 4 pin CPU Power Connector

proxxyys

Prominent
Mar 19, 2020
The motherboard I'm going for my upcoming pc has only a 4pin CPU Connector and I have a i7-7700. Will it go to its boost clock with only the 4 pin or do I have to find a motherboard with an 8 pin CPU Connector?

Solution
I was talking about the 4 pin CPU connector

The 4-pin CPU cable can supply 140W, much more than your CPU's requirement.

Some motherboard has 8-pin connector (280W) because it has CPU overclocking capability or it simple use the same power cable for other purposes.

Just use what your motherboard has to offer.

kanewolf

Titan
Yes it is supported but I just wanted to know if the CPU will go to its boost clock which is 4.2 GHz with only that 4 Pin EPS connector
IMO, if 4.2 is the Intel spec boost clock, the motherboard manufacturer couldn't state that the CPU is "supported" if it couldn't. But I have no first hand experience with that motherboard.
If you are concerned about the power infrastructure, then don't buy such a poorly equipped board.

A 4 pin eps connector on a motherboard is used to give added power to high end processors and to support high power draw pcie x16 devices.
I7-7700K, for example could draw more power even though it can not be overclocked on your motherboard.
You should have no problem assuming you populated the 4 pin socket.

DSzymborski

Titan
A 4 pin eps connector on a motherboard is used to give added power to high end processors and to support high power draw pcie x16 devices.
I7-7700K, for example could draw more power even though it can not be overclocked on your motherboard.
You should have no problem assuming you populated the 4 pin socket.

I think from the original post, the OP is getting a motherboard with only a single four-pin CPU connector. Like some of the really awful motherboards on prebuilts that Steve Burke over at Gamers Nexus has reviewed.

This would be a good time for OP to actually tell us what motherboard they are going to get rather than leave us playing psychic, trying to give advice about mystery hardware.

proxxyys

Prominent
Mar 19, 2020
I think from the original post, the OP is getting a motherboard with only a single four-pin CPU connector. Like some of the really awful motherboards on prebuilts that Steve Burke over at Gamers Nexus has reviewed.

This would be a good time for OP to actually tell us what motherboard they are going to get rather than leave us playing psychic, trying to give advice about mystery hardware.
Hey, the motherboard I was going to get that had the 4 pin eps connector was the Asus Prime B250M-Plus

DSzymborski

Titan
Hey, the motherboard I was going to get that had the 4 pin eps connector was the Asus Prime B250M-Plus

Yes, as I suspected, this motherboard only has a four-pin CPU connector. Geofelt was assuming from the vagueness of the question -- and it was reasonable for him to do so, don't get me wrong -- that this was the usual question of a motherboard with an eight-pin CPU connection and a supplementary four-pin CPU connector that is useful for extreme overclocking, but not necessary to populate.

I would not be shocked to see disappointing performance on this board; this is definitely as barebones a B250 motherboard as one can find.