b350 mATX to couple with Ryzen R5 1600

downloadram

Prominent
May 21, 2017
I'm planning an upgrade from a pretty old AM2+ system, the hardware I plan to change are the CPU, Motherboard and RAM.
This is mostly about choice of motherboard however any other suggestions regarding CPU & RAM as long as within budget are welcome.
Please refrain from GPU recommendations, as I plan to buy one much after this board upgrade.

Current specs:
Ga-m720-us3 (ATX)
Phenom II 920 x4 3.25 ghz (Stock fan OC from 2.8 on 1.375V (+0.025 CPU, +0.050 NB)
4x2 GB DDR2 932 mhz (OC from 800 using FSB)
500 watt bronze highpower
SATA 2.0 HDD & SATA 3.0 SSD
Asus DCII HD 7790 2 gb gddr5 (OC below)
eda94c3b16.png

With a 450-500 $ budget
Specs I plan to have:
mATX b350 motherboard
Ryzen 5 1600
DDR4 min 2666mhz (2x4 GB)
Same GPU, PSU and case
Cooler to be bought later, does not mean I don't need OCing headroom.
(mATX case not included in budget, it's a very later purchase.)

About the b350 Motherboard:
Not strictly talking mATX although I'd very much prefer this unless the ATX is way superior because I plan to buy a mATX case later for portability reasons.
I'd like good onboard audio,good overclockability, stable and long operation under high ambient temps their priorities respectively..Anything else is not neccessary but not unwelcome.
I'd like to avoid 2 DIMM motherboards so I can add 2x4GB sticks later.

Any opinion/experience/suggestion is welcome

Some motherboards I've checked/read reviews/comments about so far:
Gigabyte AB350 gaming 3 (mATX&ATX) : Bad mosfet and cooling, not much overclockability, ATX version is improved on those and has good audio which is a big plus for me, even though it is popular a lot of people seem to complain they can't go above 3.7-3.8 ghz (even with slicon lottery winning chips as they made further with different mobos.) Some claim they get good OC with increased SOC voltage, however mosfets on this board are appereantly more liable to wear from temperature as their max temps are 10-15 C lower than the standard which worries me as I have high ambient temps.

Asrock B350 pro 4 : ATX but seems to be a popular choice although with low availability, I like everything about this board EXCEPT audio which I have no clue about, if anyone could enlighten me about the quality of the audio on this board VS the others listed here, I'd be grateful.

MSI B350M mortar : overall decent mATX with probably better audio quality than prime judging by the caps, however seems to have worse cooling/mosfet quality and I have no info regarding overclocking.

Asus B350 prime plus : ATX with probably lower audio quality, decent overclocking for the price and good cooling.

MSI B350 tomahawk : Average in everything but ATX, has some audio software I'd likely not use other than speech related improvements for voice comm.

I must say I've heard bad things about asus lately, a lot of RMAs, issues still after servicing but if the board's capabilities outweight cons I'm still up for it.

Note: Those are all what I've learned about the motherboards from both specs, reviews and user feedback.Everyone can have different experiences and I'm not claiming 100% accuracy with my view on the motherboards.

READ BELOW ONLY IF YOU NEED SPECIFICS ON MY PRIORITIES ABOUT THE MOTHERBOARD .
I'm looking for a microATX b350 motherboard with the following properties, priority is from first to last respectively:
1- Audio. I've suffered much from my motherboards ALC888, mostly due to it's unshielded, noisy and weird impedance managing chip that even my phone or any other PC I use does a better job with my headphones.I'd have too much volume at 2% in windows, very poor bass that I had to use 3rd party programs (EqualizerAPO, Razer, X-fi MBII) which all did a good job at bass management but some of them ruined the already poor quality.
Most people recommend an external audio card, but I'm afraid this might add to my DPC latency issues. Though I wouldn't know if newer hardware has such issues.
2- Overclockablity. I'd like to overclock R5 1600 since it's single core performance could cripple my gaming performance in the future, as I've learned from my current CPU.
I'd like to get close to the 4 ghz wall as much as I can with 1.425 Vcore although that involes silicon lottery aswell as the motherboard itself.
I'm aware x370's are much more suitable for this but as I don't need any other feature x370s offer I'd like to save the costs for higher freq/16 gb RAM as x370's can cost double.
3- Longetivity & Stability in high ambient. I live in a city that can get as high as 40 C during summer and usually floats at around 30-35. I hear most motherboard mosfets nowadays run pretty hot and some without cooling and as is the nature of circuitry it degrades lifespan much faster.I'd like to keep this PC for 6-7 years before buying a new motherboard/CPU.
4- UEFI & it's updates .I know some companies are more slacking with those and I expect some will even leave the motherboards at its current state.Another thing I hear is that after UEFI flash some motherboards don't boot at all anymore.Which is a scary situation for me as shipping for repairs/replacement would take me some time as I don't live anywhere central.

Things I don't care about (not unwelcome but not needed):
"Crossfire support" as b350 only supports it in 16x first 4x 2nd GPU, performance would suffer greatly.I'd much rather get a strong single GPU to avoid any issues with this (and anything existing with crossfire already)
RGB or anything decorative, I'll be looking at the screen not the hardware.
Software that comes with the motherboard.

As extras to the above, from what I've read so far the overclockability of any motherboard can be boosted significantly through SOC voltage adjustments (+0.200 is common adjustment).

downloadram

Prominent
May 21, 2017
At this point any onboard audio on the new motherboards are better than mine simply due to the fact that my board has little to no shielding resulting in noise that increases with the amount of USB slots I use.

It does seem like a good board, however I'm bit skeptical about Asrock.It has similar reputation as asus on failure rates and I believe there are better onboard audio options available.
However the board is too good to discard so I'll keep it in mind, thanks for your suggestion.

EDIT : ALC888 to ALC892 seems like a downgrade in terms of SNR, while better shielding on modern motherboards would make up for it, I'd like to get something better since the motherboard is almost a decade old, it's time to get something newer.

Also correction, Ga-m720-us3 uses http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC888_1-0.pdf not ALC887

I recommend this lot, you said you're getting a case later down the line right?
I've recommended a GPU upgrade to a 1060 which costs a bit more, but is WELL worth it.
However if this is too overkill for you then i've put in a 1050 list too.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($217.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: ADATA - XPG Z1 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $553.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-21 20:50 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($217.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: ADATA - XPG Z1 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB SC GAMING Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $478.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-21 20:52 EDT-0400

downloadram

Prominent
May 21, 2017

As stated in the second line and throughout the post, I'm only upgrading the CPU, RAM and Motherboard while GPU and everything else stays the same with a case change down the line.

Beyond that, the PSU you suggested is literally 50 watts away from mine so there's not much point into it.And its not even listed as Micro ATX so mine will do just as well.

I'd much rather have a discussion focused on motherboard capabilities rather than GPU/case/PSU related as by the time I change my GPU there will probably be better alternatives. And case is dependant on its availability to me locally so I'll probably pass the suggestions on this.

So let's focus on the motherboards for now if you please :)

High Power are a terrible PSU company, and given that unit is aging i'd say it's getting to the stage where it's becoming even more so unstable than it already was initially, and could easily fry your brand new components.
PSUs in non-ATX cases all follow the ATX standard, or the SFX standard in ITX cases.
mATX is not a mainstream standard, do some research first.
Any reason you don't want to upgrade the GPU?
What is your intended use?

downloadram

Prominent
May 21, 2017
The PSU is perfectly fine. It's infact newer than the entire system.I also check my voltages almost daily due to my tendency to overclock of late.
Again, talk motherboard/Cpu/ram or refrain from posting.
And like I said about 5 times over, I am not here to discuss a psu/gpu upgrade so do some reading first.its only natural that I didn't do any research for that reason.
Please stop posting about gpu/psu...
My intended use is gaming oriented however I'd like to spend the entirety of my budget on Cpu/ram/mobo combination and later when vega is revealed (or new Nvidia) I'll then consider a gpu upgrade.
Again, stop posting about what I said 5 times over to not post about you're just making it off topic discussion while thread is about picking the best motherboard of the above with the specified priorities and potential Cpu/ram alternatives
You might be trying to be helpful and I appreciate that but you're never going to convince me to get a new gpu/psu while they're working perfectly fine and I'll decide when to upgrade.

You're being extremely rude right now.
I'm asking out of curiosity, as the PSU IS low quality, and whether you want to recognize that before or after all your components are fried is your choice. Your GPU is very outdated, and given as you have stated yourself you are in fact gaming, even a GTX 1050 would be an absolutely massive upgrade, about 200% over your current GPU, hence the concern.
I'm only here to help, if you're going to keep being an arse to people trying to help i'm not going to bother with you.
Downvoting comments is pretty petty too....

The best option requires you to spend over your budget, but i'll also post one below budget.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $590.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-21 22:29 EDT-0400

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($103.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $468.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-21 22:30 EDT-0400

downloadram

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Thanks for staying on topic. The build below might be viable but I'd like overclockability so I'll stay away from non k CPUs for now.

As for the GPU being 200% better as much as I don't want to discuss it on this thread, but for the sake of those who might read it later, that is absolutely not true.

My GPU has everything better except pixel fillrate which I'm not very much dependent on for 1080p60. Comparing benchmark results from my own system, my GPU at its OC is 31% effective 3D speed on userbenchmark and 1050 is on 33.7% 3D. My GPU even outperforms it in certain tests, such as floating point or parallax/splatting so it is not an upgrade worth mentioning.I know benchs don't 100% reflect real life performance, but if I'm getting an upgrade I'd like more than a 2% increase in GPU related tests so that the upgrade is worthwhile. I'm pretty sure it's a very slight upgrade in terms of FPS anyway.

Guess I have to make a new, motherboard/CPU/RAM focused thread at this point...

In regards to the GPU I accidentally read it as a 7750, a 7790 is fine for entry level 1080p, about 30% worse than a 1050, my bad there! :)
However you still might want to consider an upgrade to a 1060 or 1070 in the near future.
Grab either of the lists I posted above, both are good value.