[SOLVED] B350 Motherboards with 3200Mhz RAM ???

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Hello dear tech enthusiasts,

I am upgrading my pc components mainly the Motherboard and RAM for my Ryzen R5 1600

I'm currently thinking these options:
MSI B350 PC MATE
or Tomahawk
Asus Prime B350 Plus

But every B350 Chipset motherboard has this written in specs : 866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667(OC)/ 2933(OC)/ 3200(OC)+ Mhz

So if i want 3200Mhz RAM speed, Do i need to buy a 2400 and overclock it? Or;
Will it work fine with just 3200 Core speed RAM modules? (like Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 3200MHz Ram HX432C18FB2/8)

I'm not that versed in memory modules in terms of tech knowledge, but i've read that Ryzen processors work better with higher ram speed (?)

Which should be more optimal to buy? 2400Mhz DDR4 (and overclock) or just go for 3200Mhz modules. Mid price range.

Thank you for reading

Solution
Okay, so the "3200(OC)+ " expression doesn't actually matter, and 3200Mhz out of the box memory modules will work just fine at 3200mhz without overclocking on these motherboards?
No, the 3200 module will work out of the box. But it won't run natively at 3200 until you overclock (enable DOCP on AMD systems usually). No board really runs at higher speeds without enabling the relevant OC (XMP or DOCP).

So basically, when you install a 3200 module, it will natively run at the JEDEC or motherboard standard, until you enable the overclock in the BIOS, then it will run at 3200, thus the (OC). Basically means you have to configure it in the BIOS to reach those speeds.

For your motherboard, same would apply for any RAM speed from 2667...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You buy 3200 RAM and then overclock it in order to reach it's rated speeds (by enabling XMP / DOCP).
You can technically buy slower RAM and overclock it beyond it's rated speed, but it's more prone to instability, potential damage, and not as easy.

For Ryzen, I would always opt for the faster speed.

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Okay, so the "3200(OC)+ " expression doesn't actually matter, and 3200Mhz out of the box memory modules will work just fine at 3200mhz without overclocking on these motherboards?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No, the 3200 module will work out of the box. But it won't run natively at 3200 until you overclock (enable DOCP on AMD systems usually). No board really runs at higher speeds without enabling the relevant OC (XMP or DOCP).

So basically, when you install a 3200 module, it will natively run at the JEDEC or motherboard standard, until you enable the overclock in the BIOS, then it will run at 3200, thus the (OC). Basically means you have to configure it in the BIOS to reach those speeds.

For your motherboard, same would apply for any RAM speed from 2667 onwards, thus why they are all labelled as OC

Solution

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017

For your motherboard, same would apply for any RAM speed from 2667 onwards, thus why they are all labelled as OC
Gotcha!

I am currently looking for the lower price range options.
Considering I'm upgrading from a 10 years old Asus P7P55D-E Pro , you can paint me as a non-visionary person, haha.

Honestly I'm very open to suggestions. How about these?

MSI B450-A PRO
Asus Prime B450-PLUS

Also I'll be overclocking hardware for the first time in my life so fairly easy BIOS UI seems helpful when choosing motherboards.

TRENDING THREADS