[SOLVED] B350 should I upgrade?

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I currently have an a Ryzen 9 3900X in an ASRock AB350 Pro4 Mainboard. I had to upgrade the bios all the way up to the latest version of the bios to take the CPU but it runs stable, no issues and no BODS or anything like that. I am considering upgrading the MotherBoard in spite of the lack of issues but I don't know if it is worth it. My question is aside from the looming Windows 11 launch, will I see any difference in performance, increased stability or any other benefit, or should I just stick with the AB350?

Solution
Absolutely there is. The VRM on that board have to be suffering under a load like a Ryzen 9. You will see far better performance under heavy load with a motherboard which was designed for a CPU like that in mind.

logainofhades

Titan
The only reason I would consider an upgrade is to take advantage of faster PCI-E speeds, of B550. You get to take advantage of 4.0, from the CPU, and 3.0 from the chipset. They are better built boards also. I would also suggest faster ram. DDR4 2400 is pretty slow, especially for Ryzen.

Reactions: athlondude

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
The only reason I would consider an upgrade is to take advantage of faster PCI-E speeds, of B550. You get to take advantage of 4.0, from the CPU, and 3.0 from the chipset. They are better built boards also. I would also suggest faster ram. DDR4 2400 is pretty slow, especially for Ryzen.
I actually have DDR4 3200 in there, I just forgot to update it LOL

Reactions: logainofhades