Question B450-A suddenly 'no audio output device is installed'

Dec 19, 2021
Using the built-in audio on the mobo.

Now have a little red circle with a white cross in it on the taskbar over the little speaker icon. I think this happened after a windows update - was maybe 6 weeks ago. Ive tried reinstalling the drivers.

Under device manager, 'realtek audio' shows fine, and 'working properly'. Shows up with 'speccy' also.

I saw on another thread here that someone thought that registry values got messed up after a windows update with their b450 tomahawk built-in audio.

Anyone got any ideas? Im only middlingly computer literate by the way ......

B450-a with AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
windows 10 pro 64bit

Dec 19, 2021
Cheers. Watched and did it all.

I enabled show hidden devices, a few appeared in device manager under 'audio inputs and outputs' and 'sound, video and game controllers'. His advice after this was kind of vague - you can uninstall stuff, you can update drivers... but my device already showed up there (before this step) and said the driver was fine. I tried updating through this also a while back to no avail. Anyway, so Im not sure what I could have done at this stage to help.

The last 'services' bit was fine, all was as it should be.

Dec 19, 2021
By the way, this is what shows under speccy.... is this the right device for the standard mobo sound device?

Audio
Sound Cards
Realtek High Definition Audio
High Definition Audio Device
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

By the way, this is what shows under speccy.... is this the right device for the standard mobo sound device?

Audio
Sound Cards
Realtek High Definition Audio
High Definition Audio Device
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
Realtek High Definition Audio would be your motherboards audio chip.
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device would be the audio your video card sends to your monitor over the HDMI cable.

Reactions: happylimpet
Dec 19, 2021
Realtek High Definition Audio would be your motherboards audio chip.
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device would be the audio your video card sends to your monitor over the HDMI cable.

Thats useful. Then shouldnt i be able to select the nvidia output also? i cant do that either....under 'sound output devices' i have 'no output devices found'. its like half my machine cheerfully sees at least two output devices, and half of it denies there are any.

I suppose this makes it look less like theres a problem with the motherboard audio, and more like a general audio setup disaster.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021
Bloody hell. Fixed. Found this:

MarcusBrubaker-6749 answered • May 20 2021 at 2:09 PM | MD-2720 published • Nov 11 2021 at 5:11 PM
This fix worked for me:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...my-audio/03662044-80f9-45e0-ba20-a47d1e93488a
I opened CMD prompt as Admin and ran the following commands.
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
I then restarted the Windows Audio service in services.msc

at

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/401440/kb5003173-no-audio-device-installed.html

and now i have sound. At last!!!! rocktalkrock, thanks for your efforts! Appreciated.

Reactions: rocktalkrock