[SOLVED] B450 AMD RAID Question

thender21

Commendable
Apr 14, 2020
I'm wondering if I can take a drive and buy another of the same size then make them into a RAID mirror or if I have to blank both drives at the same time to create the array?

It looks like I have to initialize the drive and then create the array.

Also when I switched from AHCI to RAID mode it looked like there were only 4 SATA ports instead of the 6 on the board.

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v4.0.pdf

Solution
I have SSDs for high performance storage, I would want mirror because reliability/failure safety is my highest priority for EG, photo/video albums, things which are seldom accessed and can't be replaced.

So I will have to initialize both disks and then create the array?
RAID 1 is not a backup for your data.
It only provides redundancy for the physical drive. It does nothing for the far more common forms of data loss. Virus, malware, ransomware, accidental deletion, corruption, etc, etc.

For that, actual backups are needed.

thender21

Commendable
Apr 14, 2020
I have SSDs for high performance storage, I would want mirror because reliability/failure safety is my highest priority for EG, photo/video albums, things which are seldom accessed and can't be replaced.

thender21

Commendable
Apr 14, 2020
Why a RAID 1?

And yes, you'd need to initialize the array first, then fill it with data.

USAFRet

Titan

RAID 1 is not a backup for your data.
It only provides redundancy for the physical drive. It does nothing for the far more common forms of data loss. Virus, malware, ransomware, accidental deletion, corruption, etc, etc.

For that, actual backups are needed.

Solution